PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about jointer knives

Mark Borowsky
10-29-2007, 7:07 PM
OK silly question, but I have to ask: I just bought a used 6" Jet jointer and the seller gave me 3 sets of knives. They all appear pretty sharp, but not so obvious that I can say for sure if the 2 sets not in the machine need sharpening. Is there some fool proof (me = the fool) method to figure it out? Given the time it will take me to get them set up I'd love to figure it out before I install and try them out.

Thanks!

glenn bradley
10-29-2007, 8:12 PM
They should be obviously sharp. By that I mean as sharp as a sharp pocket knife, chisel, plane blade. Should easily slice paper . . . that sort of thing. If you're able to handle them casually and not get cut, they're not sharp.

Bruce Wrenn
10-29-2007, 9:59 PM
OK silly question, but I have to ask: I just bought a used 6" Jet jointer and the seller gave me 3 sets of knives. They all appear pretty sharp, but not so obvious that I can say for sure if the 2 sets not in the machine need sharpening. Is there some fool proof (me = the fool) method to figure it out? Given the time it will take me to get them set up I'd love to figure it out before I install and try them out.

Thanks!Put them in a box and send them to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. Costs $0.50 per inch to sharpen them. For $27.00 you can be sure all three sets are sharp. Want to be a big spender, ship them to Forrest. Costs about three times as much, for same, or lesser quality of service.

Eddie Darby
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Try holding a piece of paper out from you with one hand, and then try cutting the 'free to move' piece of paper. If you can then you save yourself the cost of sharpening.

Greg Cole
10-30-2007, 1:13 PM
What Glenn said "If you're able to handle them casually and not get cut, they're not sharp."
Example: if you are waxing the tables and happen to touch a knife.... red stuff should be on the nicely waxed table DAMHIKT.
Coming from someone who waxed all their cast iron Saturday morning.:rolleyes:

Greg

Mark Borowsky
11-01-2007, 8:14 PM
Thank you all for the practical advice! Looks like they're off to Boston Saw, in my neighborhood and I hear good things about them. They run about $6/blade, not as good as Dynamic but no shipping either.

Once I get them back I'll post photos of the new and improved 'wax'... :)