PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy spike boots

Craig D Peltier
10-29-2007, 6:17 PM
Hi, I just had a roof guy here who was giving me a quote to air clean (not pressure wash) roof and then replace shingles an put a protectant on it. They want at least 1550.00 for this (includes replacing about 80 shingles 4 bundles). He had these boots on like fisherman boots but with spikes on the bottom of them, I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy boots so I can walk around on roof. I have a cedar roof and it can be very slick up here in the NW.
Am I crazy to be thinking about renting a high pressure air machine (if they exist) and replacing shingles myself. Im young an legs an back work good so thats not an issue. I would also use a rope tied off (theres rope ties up there) cause I still wouldnt feel like spiderman with those boots.I wouldnt get up there without em though or something like.
Not the pole climbing spikes either.

ANy IMO?
Thanks

Reed Wells
10-29-2007, 6:45 PM
Craig, Try this link for log rolling shoes and boots. Looks like you could walk up a tree with those things on. Reed http://www.logrolling.org/default.asp

Mike Cutler
10-29-2007, 7:26 PM
Hi, I just had a roof guy here who was giving me a quote to air clean (not pressure wash) roof and then replace shingles an put a protectant on it. They want at least 1550.00 for this (includes replacing about 80 shingles 4 bundles). He had these boots on like fisherman boots but with spikes on the bottom of them, I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy boots so I can walk around on roof. I have a cedar roof and it can be very slick up here in the NW.
Am I crazy to be thinking about renting a high pressure air machine (if they exist) and replacing shingles myself. Im young an legs an back work good so thats not an issue. I would also use a rope tied off (theres rope ties up there) cause I still wouldnt feel like spiderman with those boots.I wouldnt get up there without em though or something like.
Not the pole climbing spikes either.

ANy IMO?
Thanks

No you're not crazy for doing it yourself, but a roof is a big job to tackle alone. It's not a complicated job, but don't be fooled by it's apparent simplicity. There are a lot of subtle nuances,and codes to adhere to. Done incorrectly, you can create a lot of headaches for yourself.
$1550 buys a lot of roofing material, and dumpster rental time. If you have the time, and the weather permitting. It may be worth your while to buy a few books on roofing and try a few repairs.
Don't skimp on the safety stuff. Ladders, Ladder jacks, roof scaffolds, etc. There is nothing "lightweight" about doing a roof. Everything is heavy, and bulky.

Craig D Peltier
10-29-2007, 8:50 PM
No you're not crazy for doing it yourself, but a roof is a big job to tackle alone. It's not a complicated job, but don't be fooled by it's apparent simplicity. There are a lot of subtle nuances,and codes to adhere to. Done incorrectly, you can create a lot of headaches for yourself.
$1550 buys a lot of roofing material, and dumpster rental time. If you have the time, and the weather permitting. It may be worth your while to buy a few books on roofing and try a few repairs.
Don't skimp on the safety stuff. Ladders, Ladder jacks, roof scaffolds, etc. There is nothing "lightweight" about doing a roof. Everything is heavy, and bulky.

Thanks its just for a cleaning and a few shingle repairs.I have cedar shingles sides of house before. I would have to pay I think to have it treated for moss etc.
PS I didi find shoes for walking on shake roofs.They fit over your shoes they were $77. On the log rolling site I couldnt go to store part.

Per Swenson
10-30-2007, 6:36 AM
Craig,

I have the knowledge, tools and ability to build any house

from pit to pinnacle.

But.

When it comes to roof repairs, I would pay the man.

This has every thing to do with the value of time.

Or, is it going to cost just as much if not more to do it your self?

Per

David G Baker
10-30-2007, 9:35 AM
I can't build them but I do a lot of home repair and agree with Per 100%. If you feel that the guy is honest and has good work ethics you will be ahead of the game having him do the work.

Gary Keedwell
10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Yea, I used to do everything when I renovated my old house and I mean everything......except the roof. In my younger days I used to be an Ironworker and walked the high iron on very tall buildings in the Boston area, but I shy away from my own roof now-a-days,:D
Gary

Al Wasser
10-30-2007, 2:25 PM
If you can't find the boots you want locally at a fly shop or loggers supply outfit you can check with White's Boots in Spokane. They are pricey but very well made