PDA

View Full Version : sawstop fence warped?

nick brigg
10-29-2007, 6:14 PM
Any of you sawstopers out there get their fence faces concave? should i be worried about this and replace the faces asap?

Jamie Buxton
10-29-2007, 6:19 PM
How warped is it? 10 mils? a tenth of an inch? A tenth would be a useless fence. A hundreth is okay.

Art Mann
10-29-2007, 6:21 PM
If this is a new saw, then why don't you ask Sawstop to replace it? You paid a super premium price for the saw. You have a right to expect it to be near perfect.

nick brigg
10-29-2007, 6:31 PM
i just loosened the screws inside there a lil bit and i can just barely slip a sheet of paper in the gap

glenn bradley
10-29-2007, 8:15 PM
A piece of printer paper is about .004". Most manufacturers I have questioned use .01" as their production tolerance for "flat" surfaces.

Gary Keedwell
10-29-2007, 9:47 PM
I have a .005 bow in my Bies. I keep meaning to try and adjust it but it hasn't given me any trouble yet. I really wouldn't buy from a manufacturer who has .010 as a spec.:eek:
Gary

John Bush
10-30-2007, 6:22 PM
Hi Nick,
It has been a while, but my fence seemed off when I first got my SS. You can adjust the retention screws from the inside, I think, by removing the other fence board and adjusting with allen wrenches. Can't remember the details, but I was able to flatten the fence with a little futsin around.

Christof Grohs
10-30-2007, 9:47 PM
I have a .005 bow in my Bies. I keep meaning to try and adjust it but it hasn't given me any trouble yet. I really wouldn't buy from a manufacturer who has .010 as a spec.:eek:
Gary

Speaking of tolerances, do manufacturers ever make misleading claims like "our top or fence is milled to 0.001" but then fail to say that it's +/- 0.001" over the span of one inch? I think it's necessary to read between the lines of tolerance claims. I won't tell you guys how awful the outfeed iron is on my brand new PM 20" planer:mad:

Jules Dominguez
10-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I don't recall now if the instructions are in the owners manual for the saw or in a separate one for the fence, but my Sawstop came with instructions and a special tool for adjusting the faces of the fence. It did require some adjusting, but as I recall it was a straightforward job.