PDA

View Full Version : Glue Up Thickness

Scott Felicetti
10-29-2007, 4:51 PM
I need to make boards of maple and poplar that are 1/8" thick and one sixteenth of an inch thick. Width is 14" Length up to 72". Gluing up 1/8" boards or thinner is a pain. I've used the blue tape trick, it works but I was thinking it would be better to glue up at least 1/4" thick boards first and then run them through a drum sander to get them thinner. Will 1/4" lumber be beefy enough? At 1/4" have I avoided the tape trick? Will regular clamping methods work on 1/4" thick lumber? Do I have to start thicker?
Any hints? Thanks in advance,
Scott

Larry Fox
10-29-2007, 4:57 PM
Can you glue up a thicker board and resaw it thinner? I have never tried it but it stands to reason that it would be easier than trying to edge joint thinner boards.

Scott Felicetti
10-29-2007, 5:15 PM
Can you glue up a thicker board and resaw it thinner? I have never tried it but it stands to reason that it would be easier than trying to edge joint thinner boards.

I guess I could but I'm buying thin lumber for now. No resaw yet.

John Karam
10-29-2007, 5:17 PM
You could try sandwiching the thin boards between wax paper and thicker boards. The thick boards should keep them flush while the wax paper stops them from accidentally being glued to the thin boards that you need.

Good luck with whatever you try

Ron Dunn
10-29-2007, 6:04 PM
You might have more success buying veneered ply.

Why do you need such long, thin boards?

Craig D Peltier
10-29-2007, 6:09 PM
A drum sander make take some time at 14 inch wide and trying to take off an 1/8th. At least 4 or 5 passes.
14" tall is a large resaw also for that long of piece IMO.

Good luck.