PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic used , is this good deal

Craig D Peltier
10-29-2007, 4:33 PM
Powermatic Model 66 table saw. 3 hp 220 V. motor. 56" Beyesmeyer fence. Mobile base, motor cover. Extremely accurate $1200.00
Its for sale on my local auction site.

James Phillips
10-29-2007, 4:50 PM
From the photo is does not look very well kept. Maybe it is just a bad photo

David Weaver
10-29-2007, 4:58 PM
Powermatic Model 66 table saw. 3 hp 220 V. motor. 56" Beyesmeyer fence. Mobile base, motor cover. Extremely accurate $1200.00
Its for sale on my local auction site.

If that saw was close to me with that fence, I wouldn't be posting on here asking about it - I would be trying to find a liftgate truck to rent to haul it.

That is, in my opinion, the most accurate hobbyist/light pro saw you can buy. My WW buddy has a 5 hp version of same and I keep trying to convince him he needs a sliding TS sooner than he thinks he needs one.

Take a couple of measuring devices over and have cash (or check) in hand. If everything checks out OK on it and it rips a board nicely, take it. From now on, anything like that is going to be built in Taiwan.

Buddy's has no measurable runout at the edge of the blade on a forrest WWII.

Mike Spanbauer
10-29-2007, 6:29 PM
i'd buy it without hestitation if it's in good mechanical condition.

I have that exact saw ('84 vintage) and my arbor runout is .001>

that is a fair price, and roughly going market for it. It's not a steal, but they do NOT come up often and getting a good one from the nashville era is almost impossible.

You maywait a long time before seeing a superior unit, although it might happen next week as well.

Does it come w/ blades?

That mobile base underneath looks like the unit for the 30" (no extension table outrigger support). Still worth $100.

I paid $1000 for mine without mobile base 6 years ago. Haven't regretted it for a moment and I had some cleanup to do.

mike

Doug Shepard
10-29-2007, 8:33 PM
It's not a great price, but it's a fair price. The pic quality does look pretty poor but from what I can tell it looks pretty clean and kept up. The mobile base is a bit strange though. The one I got with my 30" is completely square. Why the big protuberance and yet nothing under an extension table is odd. The motor cover looks like it might be metal? The newer ones and the one on mine is a black plastic cover. If it's in good condition it's probably already gone, so you'd better hurry.

Craig D Peltier
10-29-2007, 8:45 PM
I emailed with no response about two hours ago. He also has a powermatic 6 inch jointer for sale. Maybe I will respond to that one too just to see if hes only responding to item's he has.

Dave MacArthur
10-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Fair price. I bought mine for $1000 without the motor cover, that alone was $90, and plastic. Then I also had to buy the mobile base. I think it's a decent deal!

Craig D Peltier
10-30-2007, 1:13 AM
He got back to me.Hes responding to all the inquiries by time he was emailed.Theres several ahead of me. I guess I will be waiting for another deal.I really want a rviing knife anyways but the 50 inch fence is nice to have now.

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2007, 8:38 AM
From now on, anything like that is going to be built in Taiwan.

Hi David, General equipment is manufactured in Canada, so there remains at least one North American maker of high quality machinery.

Does anyone know of any other North American manufacturers of table saws?

Regards, Rod.

David Weaver
10-30-2007, 9:11 AM
Rod - thanks for the reminder. I got excited by that 66 and lost my mind.

Do you know what the going rate is for General Canada's cabinet saw is?

I thought I saw someone mention on here that WMH was shutting down production of the powermatic 66. There are still some in inventory online, but they'd be about or a little more than $3000 delivered with a 5 hp motor.

David Weaver
10-30-2007, 9:13 AM
I know that some will scream that I'm full of poo, but a MJ splitter will serve the same purpose as a riving knife if you are cutting sheet goods and 4/4 stock. It won't do it quite as well, i guess, but certainly much much better than nothing.

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2007, 9:55 AM
[quote=David Weaver;683970]Rod

Do you know what the going rate is for General Canada's cabinet saw is?

quote]

Hi David, the General saw seems to be $3,195 in the US for the 50" rip capacity.

regards, Rod.

Craig D Peltier
10-30-2007, 3:18 PM
I know that some will scream that I'm full of poo, but a MJ splitter will serve the same purpose as a riving knife if you are cutting sheet goods and 4/4 stock. It won't do it quite as well, i guess, but certainly much much better than nothing.
I like the fact that the knife tilts an retracts the best. Its not just it being a splitter.Seems like most saw companies are introducing riving knifes finally.Not sure whats taken so long for them to add something that seems pretty straightforward. I think I have seen them on Grizzly, Jet,Sawstop and Delta.

Dick Latshaw
10-30-2007, 4:08 PM
Hi David, General equipment is manufactured in Canada, so there remains at least one North American maker of high quality machinery.

Does anyone know of any other North American manufacturers of table saws?

Regards, Rod.

Well, there is Northfield (but I haven't won the lottery yet).:)

Greg Pavlov
10-30-2007, 5:02 PM
I like the fact that the knife tilts an retracts the best. Its not just it being a splitter.Seems like most saw companies are introducing riving knifes finally.Not sure whats taken so long for them to add something that seems pretty straightforward. I think I have seen them on Grizzly, Jet,Sawstop and Delta.
I have no idea either, but I very much suspect that SawStop has something to do with why they are finally appearing.