PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Rigid Plastic

Gary and Jessica Houghton
10-29-2007, 4:02 PM
Hello all.

I have been reading the forums and all of the discussions about various plastics, and their corresponding benefits / drawbacks. However, most of those discussions have centered around thinner materials.

I have been approached by a local dealer of commercial embroidery machines about the possibility of cutting hoops for his machines. These hoops are normally injection molded, not sure out of what material. However, they need to be cut from a sheet of material approx .4 inches thick and will ultimately be cut in a rectangular outline shape about 5" x 7". The material they are cut from needs to be semi-rigid, but not so brittle that it breaks when slightly tweaked.

I have an Epilog 35w Helix. Does anyone have any suggestions on a material that can be found that might be suitable and not break the bank? I have heard of Delrin, but it is usually very thin and costs A LOT.
I am thinking perhaps ABS or some polyester derivative.

Any other ideas for a material, and a source?

Thanks,

Gary and Jessica Houghton
Etched!

Joe Pelonio
10-29-2007, 5:10 PM
Materials that are semi rigid (strong but can take some flexing) that I have cut are ABS and Polystyrene. if the thickness is .4, I would not try to cut either on my 45 watt, that's pushing the limits. According to Epilog documentation the thickest I can do is .375 but from experience both of those materials are harder to cut than acrylic.

Sandra Force
10-29-2007, 5:16 PM
Polycarbonate is your best bet. It is fairly rigid but will take a lot of abuse without breaking. It isn't cheap but worth the money. I don't know how thick you can cut it with your laser. I use mostly 1/8" at mid speed and 75% power with a 100w. If they can get away with the 1/8" that would be your best bet. :o

Doug Griffith
10-29-2007, 5:47 PM
How about laminating a few thinner pieces together after cutting. A fixture might help with this. Also, first make the sure the plastic used can be glued.

Cheers