PDA

View Full Version : Disney Artwork

Justin Harrington
10-29-2007, 2:15 PM
My daughter want to put up some cutouts of Disney characters on her bedroom wall, does anybody have Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Belle in vector format, it would sure save me alot of time, not really in the mood to scan and vectorise if someones aready done this.

Thanks for any help with this.

Frank Corker
10-29-2007, 2:35 PM
Justin, I think you will find that there will be a lot of problems with you using the Disney stuff because they are all copyrighted, you will also find that people will be unlikely to share for the same reason

Justin Harrington
10-29-2007, 2:46 PM
Hi Frank

Had a feeling this would be the case, didn't think it would be much of an issue though seeing as to what it would be used for, simply looking for the outline not the actual artwork if this makes any sense?

Todd Schwartz
10-29-2007, 2:49 PM
Justin,

Not to rain on your parade, but Disney protects its products and images with fierce abandon. They dispatch their team of lawyers on any poor soul who uses the Disney images in about any way. For your daughter's room, they will never find out, but I doubt there are many images floating around. You may be dusting off your tracing and drawing skills.

Good luck,

Todd

Frank Corker
10-29-2007, 2:52 PM
I've sent you a pm Justin just to make things clearer for you

Justin Harrington
10-29-2007, 3:02 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Guess I'll be getting out the colouring books after-all. Never hurts to practice the drawing skills.

Joe Pelonio
10-29-2007, 3:55 PM
Actually, there are sites with that kind of thing that have agreements to allow use of such art for personal, non-commercial uses.

Unfortunately, though, the terms of use do not allow any alteration of the art which is what you want to do.

This is from Disney ( a small portion, it's actually very, very long):

"(a) you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices, (b) you make no modifications to the information, content or materials, (c) you do not use the information, content or materials in a manner that suggests an association with any of our products, services or brands, and (d) you do not download information, content or materials so as to avoid future downloads from any WDIG Site. The use of any information, content or materials on a WDIG Site on any other Web site or computer environment is prohibited."

Kim Vellore
10-29-2007, 5:58 PM
My daughter want to put up some cutouts of Disney characters on her bedroom wall, does anybody have Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Belle in vector format, it would sure save me alot of time, not really in the mood to scan and vectorise if someones aready done this.

Justin,

That is a nice idea, I plan to do the same and ask my daughter to help me paint the characters. I think I have done my share of spending my fortunes in Disney land and taking my kids to Disney every couple of years (what got me the most was $5 for a tiny bottle of water and we got over 10 bottles that day since it was so hot). Let me know if you have any tips....;)
Kim

Steven Smith
10-29-2007, 6:42 PM

Back in the day I did a parody site using a certain toy company's products. Nothing rude at all but not in line where they wanted to go. I tried claiming 'fair use' as it was a genuine satirical parody.
I was advised, that while I may be in the right as far as the law is concerned, the company could financially ruin me. 2 cents.

Lisa Walter
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I was doing a search yesterday for some free princess dingbats. I was searching for a crown to use on something and when I searched for that stuff I did get a few disney dingbats to come up. You might be able to use a dingbat it you blow it up large enough. These dingbats were not made by disney though, just so you know.

David Lavaneri
10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
For your daughter's room, they will never find out...

Todd,

However unlikely, Disney will demand that artwork in a kid's bedroom be removed.

There was a case in Israel, I believe, where even though the Disney characters were hand-painted on the wall, Disney (don't know how) caught wind of it and enforced their copyright.

Very remote possibility, but Disney plays hardball, when it comes to their property.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Joe Pelonio
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
There was an artistic guy I knew in California about 1990 that cut out plywood and hand painted it into Disney characters for a really nice Christmas lawn display. He had them up one year with no problem. The second year, after about two weeks he got a threatening letter from the Disney lawyers
and had to take them down. I think his downfall was that the newspaper printed a picture of them on a list of places with nice displays.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-30-2007, 5:08 PM
I would not doubt if they already know about this. Remember this site is Huge when it comes to doing a search. And when I say huge I mean that it will come up in the top of a Internet search. I have heard that many of these big corps have bird dogs everywhere looking for their finders fee and either they already have or probably will see this post eventually.
So Justin if a couple of people come by wearing sunglasses :cool: on a cloudy day and ask to see your daughters room, have some paint ready and pour them some coffee.

Rule of thumb is if it is Copyrighted/Patented don't touch unless you get permission in writing and most likely you have to pay a license fee or you may have to pay the lawyers fee.(348)