PDA

View Full Version : CNC monogram

Kyle Kraft
10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
A friend of mine is looking to have a blanket chest made for his kids wedding gift, and he has a "monogram" with the individuals initials that he would like to have machined into the front of the chest.

Is this something that could be scanned into the computer, enlarged and machined on the CNC? Are the CNC tools that you folks have capable of 3 axis contouring?

As you can probably tell, I don't know much about the woodworking end of CNC, as I am only familiar with the metalworking side.

Rob Wright
10-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Kyle - This can be done quite quickly using the Vcarve pro software for the CNC. I created a quick few in less than 5-min. The first picture is just stock font script in windows and converted into a tool path.

The second and third are pictures of a scanned ABC monogram converted into at tool path - I have shown the preview of what it would look like carved with a 60-deg bit. This may be what would need to be done for your friend.

I hope this is what you meant. If you wanted them to be in relief and standing out from the top- that takes some more time. - Rob

Kyle Kraft
10-30-2007, 9:52 AM
Rob,

Thanks for the pix...that's exactly what my friend is looking for. I'll PM you with some other questions....Thanks again!!