PDA

View Full Version : My Bandsaw Buying Experince

John Davidson
10-29-2007, 7:57 AM
A few weeks ago I was on the hunt for a new bandsaw. I have wanted to upgrade from my 14 inch Jet for several years. With my new shop completed, I had been thinking about it more when Larry Gelder put out a call in the classifieds that he was looking for his first bandsaw, maybe a 14 inch to start. So, Larry and I worked out a deal and I started thinking about the replacement.

In the past years I had looked at the Mini Max and Laguna saws at the Charlotte and Atlanta WW shows. However, There seemed like more saw and money than I needed. I called Mini Max and Laguna to see what they had that might be more in line with my budget and started doing my research on the web as to what I could expect for my $2000 limit I had set. Many people referred me back to the FWW review of 18 inch saws done in 2004.

In the FWW article the Bridgewood had won top honors with the Laguna second. The dark horse pick was the Rikon, said to offer solid performance for only a $1000. Unfortunately when I did some checking around I found out the Bridgewood was no longer supplied to the US market. Also, I read many articles that the Rikon’s upper wheel tracking assembly had been redesigned and that many felt that the saw had lost its claim as the dark horse contender. So it was back to MM and Laguna.

I talked to MM first about their E16 as it seemed to be the most they had to offer in my budget. Then on to Laguna to discus their LT16 as it seemed to be their saw in my budget. At the same time I started researching these and other saws. As a result I added the Agazanni 18b to the list.

Mini Max was pleasant to deal with and refused to bad mouth the other 2 saws on the list. They pushed to win the sale on the merits of their saw at the price point that they were offering it and their reputation of customer service. They discounted the saw by $200 dollars making it the only saw I was looking at that put it at the door well within the budget. ($1679)

Dealing with Laguna was a bit different. They had no trouble bad mouthing the E16 telling me why the felt that the LT16 was a better saw which mostly came down to the Laguna guides and the slightly larger Baldor motor. But since the foot brake was standard on the MM, an option on the Laguna that added $105 right of the bat, the Laguna seemed high. Then Laguna said they would not discount the price any. Total cost shipped to the door $1976. Also, later that night after I had went to work they called the house and told my wife that they where having a sales contest and wanted to know if I would go ahead and commit to the sale. I couldn’t help to wonder if I was dealing with a tool salesman or a car salesman.

Next it was Eagle tools. They didn’t bad talk any other saws, only talked up the features of the 18b. They were pleasant to deal with but a little slow on the email responses. They also discounted their saw and gave a to the door price of $2258.

When compared, the Agazanni was the larger heavier saw with the feature and adjustments that were more in line with MM and Laguna’s heavier MM16 and 16HD saws. The Agazanni was clearly more expensive than the E16 or LT16 but it was a lot more saw for the money. In fact, the only big differences I could see was the 3 inch less resaw capacity and the smaller motor. However, I gained a wider throat and larger wheels. My research had indicated that the larger wheels were desirable as it works the blades less and more power is applied to the cut. Some of the articles I read made it clear that they felt 18 inch wheels was the absolute minimum to run high end carbide resaw blades on due to the extra fatigue that the blade would develop on smaller wheels. And last, the FWW article had awarded the Bridgewood best resaw but the Laguna had extra full 2 horses on it. It is not always all about HP, I think.

So with all that said I ordered the Agazanni from Eagle Tools. I had decided that even though the saw was $258 over my budget it was by far a major step up and was getting me closer to the MM16 and LT16DH territory. Jesse and Raul of Eagle told me the saw would be checked and verified before it would be crated and shipped. I found this to be a major sailing point as I had came across threads where people had gotten saws both from Laguna and MM that were not right and I had not found a single person that had that experience from Eagle.

The saw arrived last Tuesday. It was completely crated. Unpacked it was clean and ready for use. The only thing I had to do was get it up and to the desired spot, put a cord and plug on and level to feet. I put on a ½ inch 6 th/inch carbon steel blade, nothing fancy. I didn’t even have to adjust the tracking. The first thing I cut was some beech. I sliced off 4, 1/16 inch veneers from a 4 inch wide board. Them I tried a few curves with great results. Later I ran a 7 inch hard maple board thru to get a 16th inch veneer. The saw also passes the nickel test. I haven’t had time to do more but so far so good. The fit and finish is the best of any power tool I have ever bought.

A few weeks ago I was very confused about this purchase but in the end I am happy and think that I have made a good choice. It seems that the bandsaw purchases get a lot of discussion on the forum and everyone has their reason why they made the choice they did. I just wanted to let everyone know what my experience was and hope that it might help others with theirs.

Thanks
John

Doug Shepard
10-29-2007, 8:29 AM
You know the rules. No pics=It Didn't Happen:D
I've had some past issues with my MM16 but it's a great saw. I think if I were in the market again Minimax and Agazzani would be the final 2 contenders. I also wasn't too impressed with Laguna's Aluminum Siding sales pitch tactics. In fact, 2 years after buying my MM16 I'm still waiting for Laguna's info to come in the mail. Must literally be coming via snail mail.
I've read a lot of positive posts on the Agazzani. Now if I could just find some pictures of one somewhere.....

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2007, 9:08 AM
John....Congrats on the new saw! I'm sure it will serve you well.

I, on the otherhand, had the opposite experience with Eagle Tools and that's one major reason I have an MM16 waiting to be uncrated in the shop. I wanted an Agazzani B-20 and a PM3520B lathe and Eagle could provide both. The guy was too busy and said he call me back later that day. Well, he didn't call that day or the next. By the time he called back on the 3rd day, I'd already purchased the MM-16 and the local WoodCraft was delivering the PM-3520B.

Warren Clemans
10-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Extremely helpful post--thanks for taking the time. I'm going through the same analysis now and it's useful to see the factors that others consider in making such a big decision. Enjoy the saw and let us know how you like it after you've used it more.

John Davidson
10-29-2007, 5:02 PM
Ken, I do agreee that the guys at Eagle are not the most responsive when it comes to returning emails and phone calls.

Here are the pics

Josiah Bartlett
10-29-2007, 6:29 PM
Nice saw, but your shop is too clean. Get to work making dust!

Tom Cowie
10-29-2007, 8:17 PM
Hi John,

I have a LT20 Laguna and am very pleased with the saw but I can sympathize with the sales pitch issues. I think think that if they would stick to selling the quality of their machines and stop talking about other manufactures they would gain respect. My saw has been bullet proof so far and I do love the ceramic guides. I guess you sometimes have to cut through the !@#$ to get what you want from some.

I think that you did very well by the looks of things. That is one great looking saw. I'm sure that you will get many years of service from it.

Big congrats

Tom

glenn bradley
10-29-2007, 8:20 PM
Beautiful beast. It takes a massive commitment on the manufacturer's part to maintain high levels of CS, especially with commisioned sales folks. I hear too many 'car salesman' stories about Laguna. Its unfortunate as I have met some of the corporate guys at shows and they seem to really care about their tools and their customers.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2007, 8:30 PM
What amazed me about being in the same buying routine.....Neither Mini-Max, Laguna or the Agazanni reps at Eagle Hardware bad-mouthed the competition. One question I asked was "why should I buy your models such and such over this manufacturer's model umpty scrunch or this other manufacturer's model umpty schrunch?"....They all said the same thing...You can't go wrong with an Italian made bandsaw..but here's where mine differs.....

Jim Becker
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Congrats on your new saw!

Dave MacArthur
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Great post, thanks!

John Karam
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Appreciate your thoughts John, as I'm an inch from buying either a lt16 laguna or the G0514x Grizzly...I hear a lot of good things about grizzly customer service and have heard a lot about laguna's "car salesman' approach.

Phil Thien
10-30-2007, 9:14 AM
I've learned that when dealing w/ Eagle tools (Jesse in particular), you have to be a little extra patient for call-backs. This guy is INCREDIBLY busy but it is because: (1) He knows his stuff, (2) He takes care of existing customer concerns before taking orders from new customers, (3) They do quite a volume of lots of different stuff.

The fact that they setup and tested your saw before shipping is one indication of the level to which they take it.

They also rebuild/sell Inca and other products. Items that haven't been made in 10+ years.

I'd rather wait to deal with a guy that understands machine/woodworking issues than a salesman any day.

I just wanted to get that out there for people that wonder why it takes several days for a callback.

My experience comes from dealing with them on Inca parts. These are very hard to find. He often has them, but will go out to the warehouse and sacrifice a working machine if needed to help a customer.

Nice saw, BTW.

David Cramer
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Not to start anything, but boy oh boy why can't Laguna get it right? I've heard about the car salesman pitch from more people than I can count. I know nothing about the quality of their saws and I am admitting that up front, but what a turn off of an approach..............a salesman contest???

My friend had an employee go off on him over the phone because he still wasn't ready to committ. The salesman believed that he had put in enough phone calls that my friend owed it to him to buy it that day. Believe it or not, it's true. I was stunned, as was he. I can't believe that they have yet to change their selling tactics.

Just describe the product and it's pros and don't pester people over and over. Again, maybe they are great saws and rarely have issues, I wouldn't know, but that approach is so wrong that I am embarrassed for the top dogs there. They HAVE to know what's going on? A hard sales pitch is one thing, this is another.

Just my opinion and I am not, I repeat not trying to start a Laguna bashing contest, but John's post reminded me of my friend and that compelled me to post.

Dave

Dick Sylvan
10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Did any of you guys look at the Hammer N4400? I've seen a couple of reviews in foreign publications (one UK and one Aussie) that gave it good marks.

Al Killian
10-30-2007, 7:44 PM
Great looking saw, but where are the pics of it slicing some wood?:D When you get time let us know how it works for you.

Bob Cooper
10-30-2007, 8:50 PM
On somewhat of a related topic, i've been monitoring some of the ... sad ... furnature manufacturing shops going out of business and have any of you considered any of the really big old iron bandsaws? I know they are typically three phase and the weigh a ton but besides that :) are there any major disadvantages?

Don Bullock
10-30-2007, 8:51 PM
John, congratulations on your new saw. I've seen those over at Eagle. Perhaps your saw has some drool marks that I made.;) Maybe some day.

I have to say that my buying experience with Eagle Tools was fantastic. Yes, they were a little slow to respond to emails, but everything was first class. Jesse even gave me my own personal demonstration of the SawStop before I bought one from them. Sure I paid full price just like everyone else. They threw in service and paid for part part of the home delivery that must have been worth quite a bit. Everything was checked out including all tolerances and I even got to see the spec sheet attached to the saw before I bought it. Jesse had his staff place the saw on the HTC mobile base that I selected and made all the necessary adjustments before it was delivered. My charge for the delivery -- liftgate truck backed right up to my garage, lowered the saw and the driver placed exactly where I wanted it -- was $50. The actaul bill said $198. Phil is right, Jesse really knows tools. He's a great person to deal with as well. If I was going to purchase a major tool, such as a large band saw, for my shop, Eagle Tools would be my first stop. Most likely it would be my last stop as well.:D

Gary Herrmann
10-30-2007, 9:00 PM
John, congrats on your saw. Looks like a good one. Glad you're happy with your choice - thats all that really matters.

Dave Malen
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
It looks like a great tool.
Re Laguna - I bought a Laguna 14se about 4 years ago. (very happy with it). I delt with Karl Knapp. My sales experience was very positive. Nothing like the tactics some other posters mentioned.
Dave

John Davidson
11-01-2007, 5:33 AM
I have had a few days more to play with the saw and all is still good. Mostly just making cuts to a line. This weekend I will put on the 3/4 carbide blade and try to push the resaw limits to see how well it does.

As for Eagle tools, Ken I hate that they didn't get back to you before you felt that you needed to shop else where. However I know that the MM16 is a great saw! I am sure you are happy. I know I would be:) Even though they were slow on the follow up calls and emails I did get the feeling that they were very busy evertime I called. I just kinda figured that was a good thing if they have that large of a customer base. They must be doing thing right! Also it is the only power tool I haven't had to spend a couple of hours cleaning and assembling. It was really cool that it was ready to run right out of the crate.

A few more pics including the shop right after i got finished with the build.

Mark Singer
11-01-2007, 8:51 AM
I have had the 20" Aggazani for years and love it! Jesse is a great guy and I have bought lots of machinery from him. You will really enjoy using the saw....I still believe they are the best out there!

John Thompson
11-01-2007, 9:49 AM
On somewhat of a related topic, i've been monitoring some of the ... sad ... furnature manufacturing shops going out of business and have any of you considered any of the really big old iron bandsaws? I know they are typically three phase and the weigh a ton but besides that :) are there any major disadvantages?

Morning Bob..

I kept an eye out for and old iron BS before jumping on a Steel City 18" with rebate. I had a chance to pick up a Tannewitz 36" BS being sold by a small furniture manufacturer in Arkansas was going out of business. I have always drooled over that saw....

$2600 was a great price but.... it would have cost over a thousand to get it picked up and delivered. Then I would have to manuever it into place on my own at my shop. 2000 + lbs. is not easy to manuever even with lots of help.

A saw that size and weight pretty much becomes stationary once you find a home on your floor space. If.... if... if.. you have the floor space to dedicate it too from the git-go. Then throw in the conversion from 3 phase you metioned before you can use it.

So... nice thoughts for us old iron lovers to day-dream about as a center-piece... but there are some problems that come with docking a "battle-ship"! :)

Sarge..

Dirk Lewis
11-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Did any of you guys look at the Hammer N4400? I've seen a couple of reviews in foreign publications (one UK and one Aussie) that gave it good marks.

Hey Dick, I've been eyeing this saw up the last couple of weeks and just noticed that they have updated the wheels to cast iron from Alum. and upped the motor to 5.5 HP, all for ~$1700. That and it is made by ACM (same mothership that makes the upper end Lagunas), definitely makes this saw a consideration - a pretty good bang for the buck.

There is an Aussie forum as well as the Felder Owners Group on yahoo! with many positive reviews.

D