PDA

View Full Version : First bowls...no laughing please !!! ok a liitle Comments welcome!

Mark Singer
02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
I had to try my new Jet mini....here are my first efforts. I enjoyed it and I think I know what I need to work on ...suggestions are welcome

Bud Duffy
02-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Mark those sure look better than my first attempt. i realy like the walnut oneand the stepsided one is starting to grow on me to! Good job . What are the lighter colored ones oak?

Donnie Raines
02-09-2004, 10:46 AM
man oh man.....I hope my first bowls look like that! I have become "good" at turning knobs on my mini...but I have not branched off to the bowls as of yet.....what finish did you go with?

DonnieR

Stefan Antwarg
02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
That's great! My first attempt - a few weeks ago - was so bad I tossed it. I have a lesson scheduled with Bill G soon so I am looking forward to knowing what I am doing.

Stefan

Tyler Howell
02-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Mark those are so cute.;).. Yet elegent. Very Left Coast

Ken Salisbury
02-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Based on the thread title I just couldn't resist:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/roflmao.gif

Seriously though --- good start ! ! ! !

John Miliunas
02-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Very nice start, Mark! If the two lighter ones are indeed Oak, my hat's off to you! I always have found turning Oak to be a royal PITA! As for the Walnut piece, it's perfect for a "box"! Chuck up another piece of Walnut and start it like turning a bowl the same size. Except this time, relief a tenon on the rim and you've got yourself a nice lid for your turned box! Keep it up and glad you're having fun with it. That is, after all, what it's all about! :cool:

Mark Singer
02-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys,
The lighter wood is Pau Amarillo and the other is walnut. The finish is Daly's Ben Matte and Min Wax Paste wax . I just rubbed it on while it was spinning.I will show you the next batch

Michael Ballent
02-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Looks very nice... Cannot wait until I can start making bowls. I guess I need to start saving for that lathe :D

Wolf Kiessling
02-09-2004, 1:48 PM
Hey, that looks like a very good first effort to me, Mark. Now is not the time to worry about form and finish, just concentrate on making shavings. Everything else will eventually fall into place.

It's a hell of a lot better than my first effort. Of course, mine was done with a screwdriver as I had no tools yet. :D I still have my first bowl to keep reminding me where I came from. Don't ever want to get a big head (not that I have much to get big headed about)

Jim Becker
02-09-2004, 6:57 PM
Honestly, they kinda reflect a style that is not surprising from you...very modern, clean and elegant. You did a great job, Mark!

That being said, you'll probably want to cut some basic bowls that are deeper and have a relatively constant wall thickness, at least for practice.

Chris Padilla
02-09-2004, 7:26 PM
That sure is a nice floor...can you take a pic w/out the eyesores in the way so I can see it better?? ;)

Mark Singer
02-09-2004, 8:56 PM
Jim ,
Exactly what I was thinking...these were fairly thin..but I would like to go thinner and more delicate..
Chris,
Take it easy I am sensitive...It is actually a granite countertop.
Wolf thanks...I am listening let see what happens?

Dale Thompson
02-09-2004, 9:34 PM
I'm CRYING!! How can a "newbie" turner make such nice bowls when I've spent twenty years trying to make a light pull to turn off the lights in my shop. AW HECK! My lights were turned off YEARS ago. :(

As has been said, your wall thicknesses will decrease as you get more into the bowl thing. At a point, you will get into "listening" to the wood as much as you do "watching" it. If applicable, take off your ear plugs when you start to get fairly thin in the wall. The pitch goes up and, with experience, the sound will tell you almost as much about thickness as will a caliper. NOW! If I could just listen to my own advice!? :o

Nice work, Mark!! VERY nice!!

Dale T.

Mark Rios
02-09-2004, 9:48 PM
Boy those are some nice bowls. I don't do any turning (not talented enough) but I really think those turned out great. The first thing that I thought of when the pics loaded was "Where are the M&M's". :p

Good Job.

Greg Tatum
02-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Nice bowls Mark....did you use the face plate that comes with the lathe or do you have a chuck? I have been using my son's Jet mini just to goof around with....I tried to use the glue and paper method on a wooden face plate and when I went to separate them I lost the bottom of my bowl! It didn't snap apart like I thought it would....oh well, lesson learned.....BTW, I really like the walnut one.
Regards,
Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2004, 11:29 PM
As usual, Mark, your artistry talent blooms .......simple, elegant lines........Nice Work!

Mark Singer
02-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Greg,
I don't have a chuck. I just used the face plate and 4 1" drywall screws. If I get deeper into turning I will look for a chuck. If anyone has recomendations that would be great...it must of course fit the Jet mini.

Bill Grumbine
02-10-2004, 8:58 AM
Hi Mark

I see you are off to a good start. As has been mentioned, they seem to reflect your contemporary style. One of the most valuable resources for bowl turners is Richard Raffan's book, Turned Bowl Design. If you have opportunity to obtain a copy, you will see his philosophy on form - what works, what doesn't work, and why.

Bill