PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather clothing

Tom Cowie
10-29-2007, 6:11 AM
Hello to all,

I have a small shop that is heated by a small heater. Sometimes it can get fairly chilly in there. I would just like to remind everyone that long sleeve shirts or loose fitting clothes can very easily get caught in a spinning blade or bit. I found it better to add more heat to the shop instead of more clothes.

Tom

Chris Friesen
10-29-2007, 12:49 PM
A toque (aka watch cap) helps keep your head warm. Bulky warmer clothing on legs isn't usually a safety problem, and tighter-fitting knit long sleeves shouldn't be a problem. A vest will help keep your body core warm without any danger of loose sleeves.

I already have all of the above, so it's cheaper for me to keep the shop cooler except when gluing or finishing. (And I've been known to move glue-ups into the house so I can turn down the shop heat.)

Gary Keedwell
10-29-2007, 1:24 PM
Hello to all,

I have a small shop that is heated by a small heater. Sometimes it can get fairly chilly in there. I would just like to remind everyone that long sleeve shirts or loose fitting clothes can very easily get caught in a spinning blade or bit. I found it better to add more heat to the shop instead of more clothes.

Tom
Hey Tom..Thanks for the public service announcement:D Seriously, any reminder that helps get into this thick head is welcome. As it is, long sleeves don't get much room in my closet. I pretty much wear short sleeves through all the seasons, and it gets real cold up here in the northeast.:) I do wear my L.L. Bean Hurricane jacket when it is chilly in the mornings.
Gary

Brian Jarnell
10-29-2007, 4:00 PM
I was going to wear long johns,but they are a bit loose,so will give it a miss,just a reminder for those that are not able to think for themselves.

Al Willits
10-29-2007, 6:33 PM
Living in Minnesota means we get to deal with cold in a big way, at 60 I now realize the hell with it, and turn the thermostat down to about 40 when I'm not in the garage and up to 65 or so when I am, life is to short to be cold, also I found dealing with cold temps tires me out easier than 25 years ago.
And tired and sharp machinery do not go together.

But I found a good heavy pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt work fine, I also used a insulated shirt when I'm not running machinery that bites, and take it off when I think it might get in the way.

Al