PDA

View Full Version : Shop Bot

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-28-2007, 9:59 PM
We are seriously looking into purchasing a ShopBot, now we've read most of the post here but does anyone have any other suggestion on purchasing one?

Thanks in advance.
James & Zelma

Keith Outten
10-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I visited the ShopBot facility in Durham North Carolina when I was in the market to purchase a CNC router. I called and setup a demonstration of the particular material I was most interested in machining. The demo only took a few minutes to convince me and I ordered mine on the spot.

Another option is to go to a ShopBot Camp. These are offered by ShopBot owners in various locations all over the world now. Camps are for both existing ShopBot owners and potential owners alike with just about every topic you would be interested in being covered and plenty of networking time to spend talking to people who own and operate ShopBots. Very informal and enjoyable, Camps can be more like a woodworkers guild meeting of those who share a common interest.

You may also have someone in your area that is willing to do a demonstration for you, these can be an excellent opportunity to see the machine run and to talk to someone who can answer your questions one on one. ShopBot will provide a $250.00 finders fee to any ShopBotter who provides a demonstration when the perspective owner orders a new machine so there is some financial incentive.

Visit the talkshopbot.com forum for information about Camps or post there and request a demonstration in your local area. You will also find used ShopBots advertised for sale on their Forum if you are interested in that route.

Ed Lang
10-29-2007, 8:23 AM
Feel free to contact me for a phone number and I'll be happy to tell you about my ShopBot and talk about how one would work for you.

I am in the shop from 7AM to 7PM most everyday this time of year.

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-09-2008, 8:21 AM
Hey everyone, we have decided to go ahead and get a CNC, I know we have drawn this out but we want to be sure we get the right machine for the right reasons.

Can anyone tell me, is the Shopbot Alpha worth the money difference from the Standard? We want to build cedar chest, shadowboxes, and signage, is this feasable?

We are an established business with our engraver but want to add to what we are already doing.

We are going to schedule going to the class in NC when we order the machine.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Ed Lang
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
For me, the Alpha is well worth the extra expense. So is the spindle. If I had to chose between the spindle or the Alpha, buy the Alpha and a router. Then upgrade to the spindle when you can. Just like the laser, get the size machine you need, you can upgrade the laser wattage later if needed.

The offer for you (or anyone) to call and talk is still there.

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Thank you Mr. Lang for speaking with James as long as you did the other day. He seems more determined now than ever. We got everything ready to order but we are still not sure if we will be able to swing the Alpha, it is almost twice the price as the standard, so we may have to go with the standard this time around. Our original rep at the company is on vacation so we have delt with two others this week and we think we are going to wait until the original person is back. Thank again!

Ed Lang
07-13-2008, 7:30 AM
Always glad to be able to talk to folks. Call anytime!

You will find that you will be offering many other new products after you feel comfortable with the new machine.

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-18-2008, 2:15 PM
Well, a hard decision has been made. James has decided to wait until after the first of the year to get the Shopbot, he wants to wait until we can afford to get the Alpha, because of the price difference . . . we'll wait until after the first of the year.

Thanks to everyone who has helped us in making this decision, we really appreiciate your words of wisdom.

Mark Noll
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
There are a few other good machines for the same price range as the PRSAlpha96.

Take a look at the following machines:

ShopSabre
EZ-Router
Practical CNC
K2CNC

They all have similar if not better specs, offer the same features, most are pre-assembled, and they are sturdier.

If you need one that you can get into a 36" door, the Practical CNC, Shop Sabre, and EZ-Router all will. with the ShopSabre and EZ-Router you will have to assemble the unit, but it is nothing as involved as assembling the SHopBot. All of them come with 4th axis capabilities as well.

ShopBot is neat, but for the same price, you can get a machine that is more accurate and sturdier.

Mark

Steve knight
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I can argue with the above. ShopSabre may be sturdier and is accurate to .001 verses .002 for the shopbot. but it cuts at 1/2 the speed only 3ips and thats the max jog speed too and thats 1/4 of that shopbot can do. unless you pay a lot of extra money for a speed increase.
EZ-Router was a clone of shopbot but now is a older version without the speed and less accuracy. I don't know much about Practical CNC but he high sides would make it harder to access the bed. K2CNC does not look as sturdy as a shopbot and will be slower.
You get great service and support with shopbot and thats critical for starting out.

Khalid Khattak
07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
If you want to cut , carve, engrave wood..then it need not more accuracy..0.1 t0 1mm will be reasonable for wood work...I built my machine with MDF and its doing very well, hardly i will have spent within 1000US dollars on it...minus the cost of computer and softwares:)

Eric Mims
07-23-2008, 3:31 PM
Steve, you mention the high sides on the Practical cnc. Does Shopbot have a new model out with low sides? I've been watching their website to see if they were updating their table design anytime soon. That was one of the reasons I went with Camaster on my new machine, the low sides and welded frame. Along with them being only a few hours away which I feel is important (though SB isn't that much further away..)

james mcgrew
07-25-2008, 8:04 AM
good to see you around the forums!! to whom it may concern i have a eight year old camaster and a new one being built right behind eric's!!

jim

ps i like the full name forum!!!!!!!

Steve knight
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Steve, you mention the high sides on the Practical cnc. Does Shopbot have a new model out with low sides? I've been watching their website to see if they were updating their table design anytime soon. That was one of the reasons I went with Camaster on my new machine, the low sides and welded frame. Along with them being only a few hours away which I feel is important (though SB isn't that much further away..)
no that has not changed but they are not as high. I agree a welded table and low sides would be a plus. local would be a big plus.

Mark Noll
07-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Steve,

There are pros and cons to every machine. I just felt that they should shop around and look at other machines in the same price range.

Your point about the cutting speed is well taken.

Shopsabre might be slower without the servo feedback upgrade, but then there is the consideration of the welded table, set up time and other options.

Shopsabe also uses ball screws versus rack and pinion. Ball screws are less likely to get fouled up with sawdust and are typically more accurate. Servos versus steppers is also a plus.

ShopBot has come a long way and is a great machine. It seems that those that have them are very strong supporters and advocates for them, which should also say a lot about them. You don't often see users of other machines quite so vocal about their brands.

It doesn't hurt to look at other options.

I am looking around myself for a 48x96 machine with a 4th axis indexer. I am still undecided.

Mark

Paul Stelpflug
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Stephen, I too own a Camaster and hope you don't think I'm affiliated with them also. It is a great machine for the money and for my purpose. I have friends that own Shopbots and are very happy with them. It all comes down to what you want and what you need. I do know Jim and find him to be an honest person and I know he doesn't work for Camaster. I also know the guys at Camaster and find them to be hionest also. My Cam is American made with American parts. If something breaks, I can simply go to a local supply depot and get he parts I need. I also owned a Shop Sabre with the same deal - American made. The one thing I chose about the Cam was the WinCNC programming using common G code. This is something I don't believe Shopbot can do. I will say the Shopbot community is like none other though. I read it almost daily and have picked up many points about CNC machining not necessarily just about Shopbot. If you really want a Bot, then buy one and move on. A sfar as the welded table goes, if you are a hoddy welder, you can fix their table to be more rigid without too much trouble. Hope you have good luck in making your decision but do us a favor, if you don't feel good about a Cam, then don't buy one but let us owners enjoy ours.

Thanks
Paul

Neville Stewart
01-14-2009, 9:35 AM
Just an FYI, Shopbot can run Gcode & has a Gcode "interpretor" although I can't imagine a need for it, as its not advisable to use somone elses code. Get their design & code it yourself, its safer for you bits. Dont ask :-)

George Brown
08-29-2009, 1:12 PM
Always glad to be able to talk to folks. Call anytime!

You will find that you will be offering many other new products after you feel comfortable with the new machine.

I know this is an old post, but I need to get a cnc router. I would LOVE to get the shopbot alpha, but cannot justify the cost right now. Accuracy and quality is more important than size. My budget right now is $4K (I know, not much). I would like to get something better than the shark pro. Any suggestions?

Thanks

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 1:38 PM
camaster has the mc at 8500.00 and a table top has been developed at 4500.00 i was on the phone with joey about it yesterday, it is farrrrr more industrial than a shark

jim

joey is at
www.camaster.com (http://www.camaster.com)

George Brown
08-29-2009, 1:41 PM
camaster has the mc at 8500.00 and a table top has been developed at 4500.00 i was on the phone with joey about it yesterday, it is farrrrr more industrial than a shark

jim

joey is at
www.camaster.com (http://www.camaster.com)

Thanks, 4500 would be doable. I will look at it.

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 1:45 PM
this is an old thread and i have become more involved in the machine specs as i helped them get into mann tool in columbia sc, i know the table top is good as i have ordered one.

jim

George Brown
08-29-2009, 1:48 PM
this is an old thread and i have become more involved in the machine specs as i helped them get into mann tool in columbia sc, i know the table top is good as i have ordered one.

jim

Can't find anything on their web site on it. I plan on doing small highly detailed items, therefore need good accuracy, minimal backlash, reproducibility. Would that be a good choice for me?

Thanks

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:08 PM
absolutly, here is a new video joey posted yesterday look on you tube for camaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brm_kRv1Q0Y

what do you intend to do with a router?

jim

George Brown
08-29-2009, 2:12 PM
absolutly, here is a new video joey posted yesterday look on you tube for camaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brm_kRv1Q0Y

what do you intend to do with a router?

jim

Plan on cutting finely detailed designs into wooden jewelry and small plaques. Use a laser right now, but for some things, a router would be more suitable.

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:18 PM
dax afriend if mine in fla does this with his

sundax.net/home

George Brown
08-29-2009, 2:21 PM
dax afriend if mine in fla does this with his

sundax.net/home

He does that with the bench top model?

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:22 PM
joesph here in columbia sc uses his for this

http://www.bossrockers.com/Boss_Rockers_Home_Page.php

and i do cabinetry and recentlu have carved a life size chess set

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com (http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com)

have you checked out vectric

www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)

gotta go for a bit back later

jim

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:25 PM
the table top is new i have three of thier machines and want a table top for another reason so joey has developed it and it is on the way

dax has a floor model mc with the lathe

George Brown
08-29-2009, 2:29 PM
the table top is new i have three of thier machines and want a table top for another reason so joey has developed it and it is on the way

dax has a floor model mc with the lathe

Thanks, I will call him Monday.

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:33 PM
there are lots of options for table top routers, i have always felt this one is cute!!

http://www.probotix.com/

but i am sold on the industial nature of camaster this will be the second time i have done a new product with them, the first was my x3 but they sold two before i got mine

welcome to cnc i don't believe i have ever had as much fun in my work

jim

George Brown
08-29-2009, 2:37 PM
but i am sold on the industial nature of camaster

I want something that will hold up well. Though small size, I need something that is as good a quality as the big boys.

james mcgrew
08-29-2009, 2:59 PM
it is the way i think as well

jim

George Brown
08-30-2009, 8:38 PM
WOW! Awesome looking shop!

james mcgrew
08-30-2009, 8:45 PM
thanks actually we have 22000 sq ft with machining in 10000 and a 2400 sft finish room

here is avid of the older machine (10 years old) carving the chess set

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMetroDesk#play/all/uploads-all/1/tCrEJ2Ud5YU

jim