PDA

View Full Version : waterstone or oilstone?

Greg Tatum
02-09-2004, 3:41 AM
I found 5 old sharpening stones in a tool box. How do you tell the difference between an oil or waterstone? They are not in a box and are not all flat...a bit of a groove worn into the middle. One looks to have 2 stones laminated together. TIA

Regards,
Greg

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2004, 8:41 AM
I found 5 old sharpening stones in a tool box. How do you tell the difference between an oil or waterstone? They are not in a box and are not all flat...a bit of a groove worn into the middle. One looks to have 2 stones laminated together. TIA

Regards,
Greg

Good question Greg. How about seeing if you can fairly easily dig into an edge of the stones. I know my water stones are fairly soft and I have to be careful not to dig the edge into the stone surface or I will have a cratered surface for my stones. :D Other than that...I don't have a clue as I don't own any oil stones.

Donnie Raines
02-09-2004, 8:50 AM
Water stones are much more poreous, then oil stones. Also, you can take some water and run it over top of the stone....you will need to do this a few times. If the water simply sits on the surface, its a oil stone. If the stone absrobs the water, its a water stone. If it is a water stone, prior to useing allow it to soak for a few minutes...the stone will absorb the water and will maintain the "lubricating" action much longer.

DonnieR

Greg Tatum
02-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Well I tried soaking the stones in water and here are the results....2 of them seemed to suck the water right up and the other three caused the water to bead up on them...Dennis, none of them are really soft enough to dig a fingernail in....Thanks for the suggestions.....now I just need to flatten them and I can attempt to sharpen some old plane blades.

Regards,
Greg