PDA

View Full Version : Two Chairs

Tom Wiarda
10-28-2007, 8:25 PM
Here is a picture of two chairs I made from green Red and White Oak. The one on the left is from "Make a chair from a tree" by John Alexander. It has a rush seat and a Watco oil finish. I just finished the rocking chair from plans by Brian Boggs in Woodwork magazine from 1991. I have not made the seat yet for the rocking chair and am trying to decide what material to use. I would like to try a traditional hickory bark seat. Does anyone have a source for the hickory bark material at a reasonable cost? Any other seating suggestions? I would like to try another rocking chair next using the Fine Woodworking plans also by Brian Boggs. Thanks, Tom

Paul Saffold
10-28-2007, 8:33 PM
Nice work, Tom. Please post a picture of the completed rocker for us. Paul

Mark Stutz
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Shaker tape might be an alternative to the hickory bark.

Mark

Bill Houghton
10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
friends of ours had a cabin in the Ozarks, and bought quite a few chairs from a local chairmaker. One day, he showed them his latest find for weaving seats: black plastic shipping strapping, free from a local factory!

Not exactly what you had in mind, but I just had to tell that (true!) story...

Dave Mount
11-15-2007, 3:00 PM
Got to reading some old messages. Here's a source for hickory bark. Haven't used them, just picked up the pointer somewhere. Nice chairs BTW.

http://www.newberryandsonschairs.com/

Best,

Dave

Tom Wiarda
11-17-2007, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the information. I have already finished the rocking chair with a Shaker Tape seat but will keep this in mind for the next one I make.