PDA

View Full Version : Plunge Lift Question

Raymond Fries
10-28-2007, 5:20 PM
I finally got to try out my new table. :o I have a DW625 mounted in a Plunge Lift. While I was using a keyhole bit and noticed when I cranked the router up high enough to use it, the red ring around the hex socket where the wrench goes actually lifted above the table. This was a pain because the wood would hit it.

Have any of you Plunge Lift owners experienced this? Somehow this does not seem normal to me.

Jamie Buxton
10-28-2007, 5:55 PM
When you install the bit in the router, leave a little more of it sticking out of the collet.

To see how much of the shaft must stay in the collet, remove the collet and slide the bit into it. Slide it far enough that the tip of the shaft gets past the inside end of the collet. With a sharp felt-tip, mark the shaft at the outside end of the collet. When you re-install the collet and bit into the router, make sure that the marking is just visible. You're now set up so that the entire length of the collet grips the bit's shaft. Inserting the shaft further into the collet doesn't buy you any better grip, and pulling the shaft further out means that the collet isn't gripping as well as it could.