PDA

View Full Version : Ready to settle down

greg Forster
10-28-2007, 4:54 PM
Our members are always ready to offer informed, unique, and unbiased (well...) advice on a wide range of topics, so here goes.

I'm middle-aged (54), working as a construction superintendent, traveling throughout the South-east, and would like to find an area to settle down in, i.e.- I'd like to be home most nights.

I'm a long way from retirement (hopefully), so looking for an area with a positive employment picture. The past 10 years, I've been employed 100% on adaptive-reuse projects and really enjoy this type of work.
My personal interests are woodworking and small scale farming ( fruits and vegetables).

I'm small town/country at heart, but would like to be near enough to cities to be involved with economic development/re-development issues as a "concerned citizen".

I'm especially interested in the Kansas City area, but look forward any and all comments.

Tom Veatch
10-28-2007, 8:00 PM
If you include the Missouri side, the KC area is the largest metropolitan area in Kansas. Second largest (and the largest entirely within KS is the Wichita area. I came to this are from Hunstville, Alabama in '74 and have no desire to live elsewhere. Wichita is surrounded with small towns and rural areas. I'm about 5 miles out of the city in an unincorporated area of the county. Wouldn't trade it for anything I can think of.

Can't speak to the employment picture around here as I've been retired for about 5 years now and haven't been paying attention. The largest single non-agricultural industry is aviation, Textron/Cessna, Raytheon/Beech, Bombardier/Lear, Boeing/Spirit, and support/suppliers for them. Also, of course, there's all the service industry found in and around any population center. I've heard no rumblings of employment downturns expected, but as I said, I really haven't been paying attention. You could check the help wanted ads in the local paper (http://www.wichitaeagle.com/classifieds/)to get an idea of the current situation.

I like it here, small town/country life and close enough to a large enough population center to get some city benefits (assuming that's not an oxymoron) as well.

Owen Gregg
10-31-2007, 5:12 AM
Omaha might not be bad for you to take a look at. Construction companies are always hiring around here, especially experienced supes. Plenty of smaller towns around with a small commute to fit your fancy. We used to have a good football team, too....

Belinda Barfield
10-31-2007, 8:57 AM
Greg,

If you are interested in the Southeast, you can't beat the Savannah, GA area. The construction industry never really slows down here. Surveying was just completed for a huge new development near Richmond Hill. There are several smaller towns just outside of Savannah that are "the country". Feel free to PM me or e-mail me if you need or want more info.