PDA

View Full Version : Latest creation

Steve Ott
10-27-2007, 8:23 PM
This is my latest creation. This is the first time I've used a third generation lamination, and of course they did not come out right. But I used them anyway. Maple, bloodwood, yellowheart, and purpleheart. Just buffed with the Beall system.

Mike A. Smith
10-27-2007, 9:54 PM
Wow! Really nice Steve!

This is the first time I've used a third generation lamination,...

Third generation? Please expound for the ignorant.

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Very nice bowl Steve! Really like the design!

Jon Lanier
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I really like it. Very unique.

Skip Spaulding
10-28-2007, 7:39 AM
What didn't come out right? Looks good to me. Again what is 3rd generation?

Bob Hallowell
10-28-2007, 8:12 AM
Steve I think it looks great!

Bob

Paul Engle
10-28-2007, 8:52 AM
If I remember correctly from shop a 1st generation is the orginal lamination, the 2nd is when it is added to another , and the 3rd is when that combination is added to still yet another. Is that close Steve?

Brian Weick
10-28-2007, 9:31 AM
Nice Job~ that looks great!, I know how you guys do these segmented bowls , but I was looking at it and trying to figrure out how you glued that - care to explain?
Brian

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2007, 9:40 AM
That is a great looking bowl. Well done.

Steve Ott
10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Mike

Go to www.woodturnerpro.com (http://www.woodturnerpro.com) and scroll down to lamination pro for more details.

But I'll try to explain a 3rd gen lam:

I started with a board of Maple 5 feet long, and ripped it down the middle. Then I glued in strips of bloodwood, yellowheart, and purpleheart. Next this was cut into strips 3/4 inch wide at 15 degrees. Every other piece was flipped over which then makes a zig-zag design. The first generation.

After gluing all this back together, this first generation was cut at 35 degrees through the declining portion of the zig-zag. Pieces were not flipped for this step. Glued all back together. This is the second generation.

This was then cut at 40 degrees through the declining portion of the design. After gluing back together, this is the third generation.

This third generation is then ripped down the center, and the halves are slid to make a bird design.

Skip, this is why I say it did not come out right. Each bird design was about 3 1/2 long, which would have made the bowl too big around. So I had to cut 'the head' of the bird off when I mitered the segments to make the ring.

Then, I put one design on top of another, separated by Maple strips.

I hope that helps you to understand what I meant by a 3rd gen.

robert hainstock
10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Thats a Great bowl, lots of thought and planning there. The buffed finish realy tops it off. Ten big attaboys!
Bob