PDA

View Full Version : Where to find AKZO paint colors

Scott Shepherd
10-27-2007, 6:42 PM
First things first- I do not have a clue about what I'm about to ask.

I am familiar with the Pantone Color System and I have a Pantone chart.

However, I recently ran across a spec that called out for a AKZO standard color. Best I can tell is that AKZO has a color system similar to Pantone except for other types of things, like metalics?

So a couple of questions- Where can I get a list or a chart of the AKZO standards (if in fact that's what it is), and second, where would I go to buy those types of paints? Right now when I take my Pantone chart into paint stores about 70% of the people say "What's that?" and about 30% say "Oh cool, Pantone colors, we never get to do those" and they are excited about mixing them.

So being most paint store people don't know what Pantone is, where can I find the right people who know what AKZO is? Is it more of an automotive paint thing?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2007, 7:34 PM
That's a proprietary color system by AKZO Nobel. Used mainly in manufacturing of metal products. They can match pantone colors, but have more and different colors than pantone. They can also match sign vinyl colors, which pantone cannot. Besides paint they also do powder coat colors, and other coatings.

Try this and see if they have links to local distributors.

www.signfinishes.com (http://www.signfinishes.com)

Scott Shepherd
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Joe, that site had one company about 90 miles away. I called them and they said they didn't mix paint at their location and any mixed paint would have to be ordered and could take weeks to get.

I just need a small amount to produce a sample. The sample is due at the end of this week, so I can't wait a couple of weeks to get a quart of paint.

Scott Shepherd
10-29-2007, 3:28 PM
Found it several states away.