PDA

View Full Version : Corel Question

Dave West
10-27-2007, 3:40 PM
I'm building 3d logos out of plexi. The cutout letters are very small and I'm having a hard time setting them in place. What I 'm trying to do is engrave into the plexi base and set the letters in the pocket for gluing. The problem is the engraving and the cutout letter are the same size. I need to somehow thicken the engraving to make the pocket all around bigger (a simple sizing won't work).
Any ideas how to do this in Corel X3?

Thanks,

Dave

Scott Shepherd
10-27-2007, 3:53 PM
Use the "Contour" tool, pick "outside" and add as much as you want.

Dave West
10-27-2007, 4:18 PM
That looks like that'll do it. Thanks!

Dave

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2007, 5:09 PM
There's a much faster and easier way. Instead of taking all that time to engrave, place a piece of card stock in the laser and vector cut the background shape and the letters (with the slight contour.) Then tape it onto the actual background piece and glue them on, in the openings.

Dave West
10-27-2007, 9:15 PM
That sounds like it'll work also, but the problem is with the Weld-On. It wicks under everything. I'm afraid it will wick under the card stock and ruin the base. Any ideas on other adhesives that might work? I'll try sone thick CA tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.

Dave

Gary Hair
10-28-2007, 3:11 AM
Dave,
How about using transfer tape like when applying vinyl? You could cut the pieces and then apply the tape before you remove them from the piece you cut them from. This would get you something to hold the letters well above the surface you are gluing to.

I just thought of another way... Cut your letters out of the acrylic then cut them out of the cardboard using the contour mentioned above. Apply transfer tape to the cardboard and then place the letters in the cardboard cutouts. The tape would hold them in the cardboard and keep the cardboard off the surface you are gluing to and the cardboard would give you a little more strength than just the tape alone.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Gary

Keith Outten
10-28-2007, 6:32 AM
A very light vector cut on the base plexi will provide an outline that you can use as a guide to glue the letters. The shallow channel left by the vector cut will prevent the glue from wicking onto the plexi base if you just put a couple smal dots of adhesive on the base before you place the letters.

Works for me.