PDA

View Full Version : My NEIGHBOR has a question!!

Dale Thompson
02-08-2004, 9:01 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a NEIGHBOR who is into woodworking. Unfortunately, he is not perfect like ME where every miter, dovetail and other cut is PERFECT. He sometimes uses Elmer's Wood Filler. He finds that, over time, the stuff dries out and he hates to dump a container which is 90% full. I remember once back in the 60's, the 1860's, that I got so excited about Lincoln's Gettysburgh Address than even I made a bad cut. Back then, the manufacturer sold SOMETHING where a spoonful would soften a whole container overnight. I've (scratch that), my NEIGHBOR has tried most of the common hydrocarbon solvents and none of them seem to work. I know that nobody on this board has ever even HEARD of Wood Filler but there may be a chemist out there who can help. ;)

Unlike me, my NEIGHBOR is a fairly decent human being and I would like to help him out. :)

Dale T. :confused:

Ralph Steffey
02-08-2004, 9:07 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a NEIGHBOR who is into woodworking. Unfortunately, he is not perfect like ME where every miter, dovetail and other cut is PERFECT. He sometimes uses Elmer's Wood Filler. He finds that, over time, the stuff dries out and he hates to dump a container which is 90% full. I remember once back in the 60's, the 1860's, that I got so excited about Lincoln's Gettysburgh Address than even I made a bad cut. Back then, the manufacturer sold SOMETHING where a spoonful would soften a whole container overnight. I've (scratch that), my NEIGHBOR has tried most of the common hydrocarbon solvents and none of them seem to work. I know that nobody on this board has ever even HEARD of Wood Filler but there may be a chemist out there who can help. ;)

Unlike me, my NEIGHBOR is a fairly decent human being and I would like to help him out. :)

Dale T. :confused:
Just plane old water will make it like new again

Don Abele
02-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Dale, as Ralph pointed out, most of the wood fillers are water based. If mine...errr...my neighbors dries out, HE just adds a little water and mixes it up.

Be well,

Doc

Dale Thompson
02-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Ralph and Don,
Thanks guys. I will pass this on to my NEIGHBOR. I promise that I will continue to work with him and try to bring him up to my current level of perfection. :D :D ;) Thanks again.

Dale T.

John Miliunas
02-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Ralph and Don,
Thanks guys. I will pass this on to my NEIGHBOR. I promise that I will continue to work with him and try to bring him up to my current level of perfection. :D :D ;) Thanks again.

Dale T.

Hmmmm...Strange. We're a couple hundred miles apart, yet I seem to have a "neighbor" just like that! Small world, ain't it?! :D :cool:

Hal Flynt
02-09-2004, 10:48 AM
My neighbor had the same problem yesterday. His filler had gotten pretty stiff and crumbled when he tried to apply it. I, ugh he, added a little water and stirred it with a putty knife kinda like you have to with natural peanut butter when the oil separates. Smooth now.