PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1236 handwheel question

Jerry Allen
10-27-2007, 9:51 AM
I have found some info on the Jet 1236 handwheel and was hoping someone here could add some info. The WMH (Jet) sites (and manual) stink.
I have no problem making or modifiying a handwheel. On another forum I found out that the threads are a non standard 1/2-12 LH tread. There are plenty of 1/2-13 LH bolts out there and one guy stated that he managed to use one anyway.
I found a Jet 1236 handwheel, part number WMH708344, at Southern Tool for ~$14. They seem to be the only place I could fine one. No picture or enough description to determine whether it comes with a bolt or included thread. I emailed customer service and received simply a phone number to call which isn't working.
Anyone info would be appreciated.

Thomas Canfield
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Jerry,

I have a Jet 1236 and the metal handwheel (about 5" diameter) has a male left hand thread. It would seem that you could make a handwheel if you can find the LH bolt that will work. I do know it is a pain to remove the handwheel to drive out a taper drive.

Jerry Allen
10-28-2007, 9:44 AM
Thanks Thomas.
Good point about being able to use the drive bar, so I will have to consider that before purchasing. The main thing I'm getting from you though is that the threaded part is integral. It's a non standard thread 1/2-12. 1/2-13 is the common size even in left hand. If it was 12-13LH, I would make my own.

Allen Neighbors
10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
If you buy the handwheel, and it has a large enough hub, you could drill a hole through it, which would give you access with the knock-out bar.

Jerry Allen
10-28-2007, 1:30 PM
Thanks for the idea Allen. That sounds reasonable. I was also thinking that since it has a spindle lock I could probably tolerate it anyway.
PS--I wonder if a 3/8 hole though a 1/2 threaded boss wouldn't leave the remaining material a little too thin and fragile? Maybe a 5/16 hole would do along with some Lock-tite?

robert hainstock
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Jerry,
If you are trying to replace the handwheel, try Harbor Freight parts or service. Their lathe part #34706 is the same as your Jet. Their price for the machine is a lot more reasonable than the Jet, and I'm sure the prte will work. Email me @ rbobbyh@chartermi.net, and i'll sent you a pix and specs on my harbor freight lathe's hand wheel.

Bob

Jerry Allen
10-29-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks Bob. Email sent...

Jerry Allen
10-29-2007, 5:41 PM
In case anyone is interested, I just ordered a headstock handwheel for my Jet 1236, part no. WMH708344 for ~$19 which included shipping and tax. Southern Tool would not sell it to me because they will not take orders for less than $50.
The Jet (WMH) customer service center will take the order (and were quite helpful--wish I sould say the same for the WMH and Jet websites). $11.90+shipping and tax if required. Phone: 800 2746848. I also talked to tech service at 800 2746846 who assured me it was the correct handwheel for the headstock.
Why did this have to be such a PIA and why is the part only shown at Southern Tool who won't sell it to you?!!! Go figure.

David Epperson
10-30-2007, 9:42 AM
It's a non standard thread 1/2-12.
Any chance that it is really a metric thread? 1/2"-12LH would be very close to 13mmx2mmLH which is probably a much more common thread than 1/2-12LH.

Jerry Allen
10-30-2007, 12:05 PM
That did occur to me at some point David. I didn't give it much attention though as I found some links elsewhere stating that it was 1/2-12 (not that that means much). It also crossed my mind to re-tap the hole, but the LH tap costs more than the Jet handwheel I just bought. It is quite possibly metric. Weird because most everything else on the Jet 1236 is SAE.
That size in LH does not appear to be easily obtainable, although I really didn't spend as much time looking as I did for the handwheel itself.

joe greiner
10-31-2007, 5:29 AM
Any chance that it is really a metric thread? 1/2"-12LH would be very close to 13mmx2mmLH which is probably a much more common thread than 1/2-12LH.

Don't think so. 1/2-12 would convert "exactly" to M 12.7 x 2.117. Nearest standard metric would likely be M12x1.75. And apparently no standard for any M13 at all. Next up with 2mm pitch is M14x2.

In addition to familiar 1/2-inch threads 1/2-13 UNC and 1/2-20 UNF, there are standards 1/2-12 UNS, 1/2-14 UNS, 1/2-16 UN, 1/2-18 UNS, 1/2-24 UNS, and 1/2-27 UNS. I'm not sure what the "UN" is for, but the UNS is to be used "only if Standard Series do not meet requirements" (whatever that means).

All of this is from Machinery's Handbook.

Joe

Jerry Allen
10-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Joe,
I'm not sure if folks that stated it was 1/2"-12 actually measured it or guessed.
It seems pretty weird to me that a Jet mini has a ~5/8" spindle thread and ~3/8" through hole and that the 1236 neither comes stock with a handwheel, that it is not easy to find, and that the thread is only ~ 1/2" since the spindle obviously has plenty of meat.
RE: M13-2.0 Stranger still are listings at Victor Machinery http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/products.html.
Looking through the taps and dies section, there are in fact RH 13-2.0 sizes. But nothing in that size in Left Hand. They, as you stated, jump from 12 to 14 mm.

David Epperson
10-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure what the "UN" is for, but the UNS is to be used "only if Standard Series do not meet requirements" (whatever that means).

All of this is from Machinery's Handbook.

Joe
I wish I had my own copy of that book. I've used it a lot.:D
"UN" stand for Unified National, UNS would be Unified National Special I would guess. 1/2-13 UNC Is Unified National Coarse, 1/2-20 UNF is Unified National Fine, 1/2-28 UNEF Unified National Extra Fine.

robert hainstock
10-31-2007, 11:43 AM
To All Interested 1236 Owners. I Offered Jerry Some Bad, (mistaken Advise) On This Subject. There Is No Hjeadstock Handwheel On The Central Macinery 34706. So I Made A Bad Assumption. The Two Lathes Certainly Could Share Common Parts. They Were Possibly Made In The Same Factory In Taiwan.
For Instance The Cm Has A 1/4 In Drive Belt, (that Hf Sells For A Buck And Change). A Similar 3/4 Hs Motor, And Exactly The Same Bed And Stand. The Hand Wheel On The Tail Stock Of My Cm Is 5in Dia. Plastic. Anyone Can Contact Hf Online And Go To Their Service Or Support Site And Order A Pdf Instruction Book. Just Be Sure To Use Their Lathe Part #34706.
Joe I Hope This Aswers Your Question:d , And Jerry, I Hope The Part You've Ordered Fets You Back Makin Chips Fly Real Soon.
Bob

Jerry Allen
10-31-2007, 3:55 PM
Robert,
Will let you know about the new handwheel. The headstock wheel is not mandatory and does not prevent using the lathe. I am still using it, although today I'm using the mini which I like better for small stuff.

I was told long ago that some HF stuff, even though it is obviously not as nice as Delta stuff, was actually made in the same factory as Delta. I suspect that applies to Jet also. The difference I was told is the QA and specs that Delta dictates.
In the case of my Jet 1236, the quality and design does not seem to be as good as my Jet minis. Of course, my 1236 is ten years old and I just got it from a guy who did not treat it with a lot of respect. In fact I was surprised after seeing the tuning and tools that he was able to turn out anything at all.
I'd be interested to know how users with more recent Jet 1236s feel about the quality. On mine almost very nut and threaded rod is sloppy. I've had to peen the threads on all of them. On my minis, everything is nice and tight and the headstock and tailstock stay in alignment. There are locknuts on the tailstock and rest lock blocks. And they are real quiet.
The only things I like about the 1236 are more power, the speed change mechanism and the longer bed. I would like to know how high ($) I would have to go to get a machine with similar features to the 1236, that is tight and quiet, accurate, and comes with a handwheel.

I need a copy of Machinery's Handbook too. I spend more time searching for that kind of info on the net than I have time for.

joe greiner
11-01-2007, 7:24 AM
Jerry:

I actually DID measure the outboard thread on my HF 34706; Yup, 1/2-12 LH.

David:

UNS = Special: That was my guess, too. I missed the 1/2-28 UNEF and the 1/2-32 UN. Also just noticed a 1-32 UN, and some larger with very fine threads. I'd thought they were non-standard; usually used on camera lens mounts and such. In fact, of course, threads of any diameter and almost any pitch can be cut on a metal lathe, provided the appropriate change gears are available.

As to the "same factory" situation: Many, if not most, manufacturers use subcontractors, sub-sub contractors, ad infinitum. Also, cloners usually go to the same church, and similarities will often show up. In addition to that, QC filters can assign production to different brands. So, it's not too surprising to see almost identical machines. The HF 34706 is almost a perfect match for the MC 900 in Australia, even down to the yellow warning label on the tailstock; the only difference I see is green versus blue.

But, back to the handwheel question:
I recently made a rotisserie drive to use the lathe for spraying a workpiece without runs. After a few imperfect attempts to cut 1/2-12 LH threads in a wooden dowel for the reverse drive, I just turned a long taper in the dowel and let it find its own purchase in the outboard spindle. Works like a charm, best with the lathe set on high speed to reduce the passive load from the motor. This might work for a DIY handwheel attachment, although a jam nut (good luck finding one) would better allow use in both directions. Even so, if the LH tapered stud is firmly engaged, disengagement from use in the forward direction would be less likely; the rotisserie drive shaft can sometimes be a bear to remove. If you have a lathe, you can turn a wooden handwheel. Food for thought.

Joe

robert hainstock
11-01-2007, 9:13 AM
Jerry.
My Lathe, The Cm 34706 Is Tight, But Does Not Have Indexing. It Uses A Spanner To Turn The Head. Harbor Freight Had Factory Reconduitioned Delta Midis For $less Than Three Hundred A Few Weeks Ago. I Do Not Know Anthing About That One Though.
I Have Come To The Conclusion In Life That It Is Best To Wait If We Have To, And Buy The Best Tool We Can Afford The First Time. I Have Discarded Mounds Of Tools In My Life Where I Didn't Follow That Simple Rule.
I Am A Member Of A Woodturners Club, Naan Those That Have Jet Lathes Seem To Be Well Pleased. I Visited Taiwan In 1972, And Learned That They Can Produce Anything That You Want, At Any Specifications You Are Willing To Pay For. And I Am Certain That Your Lathe And Mine Were A Product Of Their Factories. I Suspect That Much Or All Of Current Lathes Come From There, Or Further West. My Mid 1960s Delta Joiner That I Bought Used From A Freind(?), Soon Required A $250.00 Rebuild. We Have The Greatest Ecpectations, But Will Probably Be Disapointed.
Bob

Jerry Allen
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Here's some pictures of the stock Jet 1236 handwheel I ordered.
Pretty nice for the price considering that a LH bolt would have been fairly close in price and it's more balanced than something I would have made.
Why they don't include it or even make it easy to find is beyond me.
It's not too great of an annoyance to remove it to use the knockout bar.
Don't know if I will even bother to try modifying it to use it without having to remove it. Probably not. If the threads were larger I might have.