PDA

View Full Version : Sources for cheese board slicers?

David Tiell
10-27-2007, 9:46 AM
This year for Christmas, I plan to make and give my work team small cutting boards with cheese and some sort of beef sticks (Hickory Farms or the like). I would to incorporate one of those wire cheese slicing thingies onto the cutting boards, but am having a hard time finding what I am looking for. A google search turned of lots of results for cheese slicers, but having trouble sifting through for just the slicer arm/wire thing.

Anybody here got a reliable source for these things?

TIA,

Dave

Rick Gifford
10-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Here is a link that sells replacement arms and wires. Maybe they will have something you can use:

http://www.cheeseslicing.com/site/681068/page/924433

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
If you are just looking for the wire, take an example one and go to a music or guitar store. Guitar strings work well as replacements. A local guitar/music stores sells the individual strings which can make several cheese slicer wires. I use them on our cheese slicer. So does my neighbor. Years ago for Christmas we gave them a cheese slicer that is hinged on a polished piece of granite. The blade broke and they bought several other cheese slicers and the blades broke on them. One day he lamenting that the best slicer they'd had was the one we gave them but the blade had broken. I happened to have a guitar string that we use for replacing the one on our cheese slicer. 5 minutes later their's was operational again. He made a trip to the local guitar store. $1.00 later, he had several spares too!