PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stoppers

Tim A. Mitchell
10-27-2007, 1:20 AM
Well, I have finally had a chance to get out and turn a bit, and decided to try out some bottle stoppers. I used some glued up maple (scraps from a chair arm project), marblewood, tulipwood, and mahogany. I need to get a few more stopper portions, obviously.
I must say, these are certianly fun little projects, and a good skill builder for someone new like me. Critiques are appreciated.

Paul Engle
10-27-2007, 8:57 AM
Tim, very nice, they look very good, the LOML likes the 2nd from the left , she'll take 2 .... as she has RA and has a time gripping wine bottle :eek: corks .... just kidding. Oh shoot, I though this was the order page......:confused: . Now I know what shape she likes I will have to git busy. THANKS for sharing .....:mad: :D :D

Skip Spaulding
10-27-2007, 9:32 AM
Very nice, great shapes and colors.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Great looking stoppers. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Tim...........very nicely done! You'll find they are appreciated as Christmas gifts and they sell quite nicely too!

Tim A. Mitchell
10-28-2007, 1:38 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The LOML has drawn out the profiles she would like to see. I have made them more the way I see them though.

Richard Madison
10-28-2007, 2:46 AM
Yo Tim,
Consider doing some "practice" pieces with the profiles suggested by your sweetie and see how they look. Just a thought.

Tim A. Mitchell
10-28-2007, 3:22 AM
Well, Richard, that what this is. . . practice. Is there something that you do not like about them? If so, say it. I can take a critique. Your post eludes that my work just isn’t good enough for you, but doesn't provide any real feedback. Please elaborate. I wouldn't say I llike them all either, but I don't need to type it out for me to understand why.

Jim Kountz
10-28-2007, 7:32 AM
Great job, that marblewood is some nice looking stuff!!

Steven Russell
10-28-2007, 9:51 AM
Hello Tim,

Good job on your stoppers... :) I enjoy turning stoppers as well... They are great projects for using up small bits of figured timbers laying around your studio and they make great gifts as well for your friends and family that are wine enthusiasts, or gourmet cooks... A nice bottle of Merlot, or perhaps Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or an aged Balsamic Vinegar and a hand turned stopper... What could be more elegant gift to a gourmet cook? :D

Here are a few examples of some of the stoppers I make in my studio... I enjoy inlaying polished stones and gemstones in my stoppers, including created gemstones, genuine diamonds and precious metals like Gold and Platinum. There is an article on my website that details my inlay protocols if you're interested. Take care and all the best to you and yours! Cheers!

Tim A. Mitchell
10-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Steve. Those you have postred are wonderfull. Ill have to look at your site to check that article. It may be a a while before I attemt that sort of embellishment, but it is certiaanly something to shoot for. Thanks for sharing.

Greely Bryan
10-28-2007, 4:27 PM
Well, Richard, that what this is. . . practice. Is there something that you do not like about them? If so, say it. I can take a critique. Your post eludes that my work just isn’t good enough for you, but doesn't provide any real feedback. Please elaborate. I wouldn't say I llike them all either, but I don't need to type it out for me to understand why.

Hi Tim...

Nice stoppers. :)

By the way, I may have misinterpreted what Richard is saying...but I didn't take his comments as though he didn't like your work. I thought he was suggesting using scrap for practice pieces to see how the profiles suggested by your LOML turn out before using good quality wood. That way, if you don't like the way they look, you haven't lost much other than time at the lathe..which by the way, is never much of a loss. ;)

Tim A. Mitchell
10-28-2007, 4:36 PM
Well, my appologies to Richard if that was his intention, but it did not come accorss to me that way. Might be the lack of sleep since my wife keeps getting close to going into labor.

Richard Madison
10-28-2007, 9:10 PM
Thank you Greely and Tim. Greely, you have it exactly right. My wife, who has considerably more "artistic vision" (Dean Carrier's phrase) than I, sometimes offers suggestions on how to improve a particular piece, or how to alter the style of some stuff I'm making that will increase sales or just make it better looking. It has taken a long time for me to learn to listen to, and seriously consider her suggestions. Fortunately I finally got it, and have definitely learned some things from her evaluation of my work. Not that I agree with every suggestion or comment she makes, but am now at least willing to try some changes and see how they look. That was my message, Tim. I think your stoppers look great. Might want to try a few of the SSNiles stoppers.

P.S. Good luck to both (all three) on the "going into labor" thing.

TYLER WOOD
10-29-2007, 4:35 PM
Boy, at least I'm not the only one who got touchy right before the labor thing!!! I don't blame you, always having to be on alert. By the way nice stoppers. Better than some I saw in Fredricksburg for $30-45 each. I wanted to tell the store owner, hey let me show you some samples of my work.:rolleyes: