PDA

View Full Version : How to replace wire and plug on 220V TS (cont'd)

Dave Cohen
10-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I decided to replace the wire from the saw on out to the plug to make it longer.
Which means I have to replace the wire from the switch out to the plug. That wire passes through several metal plates and plastic plugs in those plates.
Question is how to get the appliance wire out of those plastic plugs? It seems to be embedded in them very firmly. Just pull really hard, or is there a trick to releasing them? This is a JET JTAS-10XL 220V saw.
Thanks

Ray Knight
10-27-2007, 6:17 AM
There is a fairly standard plastic compression grommet made for applications like that. It has two interlocking pieces, connected with a thread like strip. There is a small flange on one side, and wedge like on the other, compresses the cord when pushed in, the sheet metal panel ends up in a small groove. They can be a bear to remove, but if you can get to the tapered wedge side, squeeze with a pair and pliers, twist and rock it and you can usally pot them out, AND reuse them. That's probably what you have, good luck with it. Ray

Jim O'Dell
10-27-2007, 9:42 AM
My Ridgid had one of the plastic grommets that Ray described in the back of the switch box. It wasn't too bad to get out, but the cord I went back with was slightly bigger (12 guage wire instead of 14) which made it a bear to get back together, but it did go. But be sure to use something. Don't let the cord rest on the metal edges of the hole. It could cut through from the vibrations. If your's is not like what Ray described, go to an electrical supply house and get something that will work when you go back together. Jim.

Rob Russell
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM
If you upsize your wire, make sure you get the right size grommets for the holes. You don't want jam a larger cable into the smaller grommet - that will crimp the conductors and that can cause heat buildup.

glenn bradley
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Look close and you'll probably notice the two seperate pieces. Bent-nose needle-nose pliers take these out pretty easy. If your new wire is a larger diameter they may or may not be reusable. If they get destroyed, most hardware stores sell the rubber one piece versions which I prefer.

Jim O'Dell
10-27-2007, 1:08 PM
If you upsize your wire, make sure you get the right size grommets for the holes. You don't want jam a larger cable into the smaller grommet - that will crimp the conductors and that can cause heat buildup.

It was easy to squeeze together, just hard to do that and get it up in the hole with the switch backer plate mounted on the rail. Should have taken it off to do the switch, but I didn't. Outside of the sheathing of the cord was just slightly larger, maybe slightly over 1/64"? It didn't seem to tight to work properly, or I would have done something different. Maybe I'll take it apart again and drill the plastic out slightly.:eek: Thanks for the heads up! Jim.

Dave Cohen
10-27-2007, 9:32 PM
Thanks all, with the needle nose vice grips I got them all out, you're right it was not very hard with the right technique.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Dave, I work with those regularly and they make a special pair of very expensive pliers to remove and install them. I use need nose pliers and sometimes needle nose vice grips to install them.