PDA

View Full Version : coloring engraved granite house signs

James Meagher
10-26-2007, 11:44 PM
What type a paint should I use to put on laser engraved granite house sign to show up.

Bill Cunningham
10-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Not being a paint guy, for colours I would probably use a oil based paint and allow it to penetrate the granite.. I know titainium white works well to brighten it up..

Barbara Sample
10-29-2007, 1:53 PM
Hi,
I paint them with water base oil paints. They come out nice, but you have to do it a few times to make it show well.

Barbara

Scott Shepherd
10-29-2007, 1:58 PM
What's a water based oil paint? Isn't that an oxymoron? :)

Todd Schwartz
10-29-2007, 2:31 PM
James,

Have used the inexpensive acrylic paints found at Hobby Lobby for the rocks I have engraved and set outside in my wife's rock garden. After 2 years still looks good.

Just came across a link to person who does stone work and his web page mentions lithichrome paint. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67845, post #2. I have no experience with it, just passing it on as an option. Looks like the industrial strength version that I would use if doing this for $$$.

http://www.lithichrome.com/showitem.cfm?itemnum=230&catnum=0

Todd

John Fruen
10-29-2007, 2:51 PM
Hi I've recenly found a spray paint called Mirabu Do It. it's a craft type paint with a good range of colours, it claims to be weather and wipe proof and it does dry very quickly
I mask the granite with Frisket, if it's large text i cut it out on the blank using outline then engrave, if it's small text i up the power and take the mask out whilst engraving.
I have found some colous pull out if you have to tape over if you have different colours.
I also found that with white you have to spray on thin and build up the coats, it's very thin and if you try build up too quickly you it bleeds under the mask and you have to trim it up with a stanley knife. don't know if anyony out there can recommend a solvent proof mask ?
There is laquer availble but on the gold it tends to flatten it.
Of course i should say i'm in the UK so the paint may be branded differently where you are.
Hope this helps.
John

John Fruen
10-29-2007, 3:11 PM
Hi I've recenly found a spray paint called Mirabu Do It. it's a craft type paint with a good range of colours, it claims to be weather and wipe proof and it does dry very quickly
I mask the granite with Frisket, if it's large text i cut it out on the blank using outline then engrave, if it's small text i up the power and take the mask out whilst engraving.
I have found some colours pull out if you have to tape over to do different colours.
I also found that with white you have to spray on thin and build up the coats, it's very thin and if you try build up too quickly you it bleeds under the mask and you have to trim it up with a stanley knife. don't know if anyony out there can recommend a solvent proof mask ?
There is laquer availble but on the gold it tends to flatten it.
Of course i should say i'm in the UK so the paint may be branded differently where you are.
Hope this helps.
John