PDA

View Full Version : CorrosionX

Bill Bryant
10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere someone saying that CorrosionX has silicone, or something like it, and that it should be avoided for rust control on woodworking tools.

The CorrosionX site says,

"Corrosion Technologies Corporation coined the term 'Fluid Thin Film Coating' to describe the basic technology found in all our anti-corrosion products and to distinguish them from barrier coatings or wax-based sealants commonly used as corrosion inhibitors. They are not sealants, contain no wax, tar, silicone or solids and leave no sticky, gummy mess behind. Polar Bonding with metal surfaces makes CorrosionX cling like a magnet and resist being washed away. The film creeps and spreads until it reaches a minimum thickness of .0003."

That sounds safe enough for a table saw top. Has anybody used it and can comment? It beats Boeshield T-9 in rust tests, so I'm curious about using in my woodshop.

Tom Godley
10-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I have not used any of CT's products on tools - I am not sure why?

I have no interest with them - but I use CT's Rejex on all of my cars -- and many other items.

That product is fantastic - can not say enough about it. Very easy to use.

I may try Rejex on a tool to try it out. It was originally developed for aircraft - bugs etc.. just hose off!

Fred Woodward
10-27-2007, 7:58 AM
I've used Corrosion X for years on fishing reels, boats, tools, guns, jetskis and anything else I needed to protect..including my woodworking tools. Good stuff and I've not had any issues with finish contamination on any of the wood projects I've done on those tools that I could trace back to the Corrosion X. I use it on handplanes, sawblades, table saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer. It works as advertised.

Glenn Hageman
10-27-2007, 8:26 PM
I have been using Corrosion X for years on "everything" with excellent results. You will be very pleased with the results.

Bill Bryant
10-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I ordered some. I'll post later with results.

My cat sometimes gets up on the table saw just after cratching around in his litter box. Cat urine/ammonia is a good test for any corrosion inhibitor!

(Anybody want a wonderful new pet?)

Bill Bryant
12-05-2007, 9:45 PM
A follow-up on CorrosionX

After trying several other approaches with less than perfect results in my basement, I cleaned my table saw carefully with degreaser and then treated it with CorrosionX (wipe on, wipe off).

It's been over a month now and the table top is perfect. This after all kinds of fussing with it, cutting with it, adjusting saw blade alignment, finger prints, and so on.

So far this is turning out to be a corrosion control product in a class by itself.

It has an odd smell I don't care for (contrast this with Starrett M1 which I find really nice) and a strange viscosity that has both fluidity and "clingy-ness." I'm guessing by the way it goes on that it really hangs on to the surface of a tool once it's been applied.

Anyway, odd smell and odd spreadablility notwithstanding, I think I'm on to something pretty special here.

I'm eager for other woodworkers to try this stuff and post their thoughts.

George Bregar
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds like just the ticket for the t-saw and jointer that I need to store in a detached unheated garage this winter.

David Giles
12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
CorrosionX is the base coat for my tools and cast iron surfaces. But I also topcoat with Boeshield, so it's difficult to draw any conclusions. But our environment is tropical and I only clean and recoat the surfaces yearly and almost never wax. So far, so good.