PDA

View Full Version : Behlen mahogany pore filler?

Ralph Wiggum
10-26-2007, 9:59 PM
Is Behlen mahogany pore filler supposed to be pink? Never worked with anything like this, going to take some experimenting with. Looks kind of like runny bondo.....

Steve Schoene
10-27-2007, 9:21 PM
Have you spent an hour stirring up the sludge from the very bottom of the can? You should dredge up some dark red/brown pigment. You will also need considerable thinning ith naptha or mineral spirits if anything like the last can I used.

Also, the company says to wait 24 hours before top coating. That's way too optimistic I think. I'd give it 72 hours in nice warm dry conditions, or even a week.

Jack Briggs
10-28-2007, 8:34 AM
+1. I wait 3-5 days before topcoating with lacquer, this will minimize the shrinkage effects.

Ralph Wiggum
10-29-2007, 2:19 PM
I decided not to use it. Couldn't get past the pepto bismol color; and it stained my test pieces pink.

Doug Shepard
10-29-2007, 9:16 PM
Is this water-based or solvent? Either one could probably have dye stirred in, as long as you get the right type dye. Keep in mind too, that the goal is to sand all this off after it dries so that you're only left with the pores filled and nothing still sitting on the top.

Steve Schoene
10-29-2007, 9:57 PM
If you have Mahogany pore filler and there isn't dark pigment settled on the bottom, then you have a defective can. Return it and exchange for one that is right. Behlen doesn't think mahogany is Pepto Bismal pink. Probably a lot of brown was left out by mistake.