PDA

View Full Version : Stupit mistake!!

Brian Knop
10-26-2007, 9:47 PM
I was 98% done with my Highboy when I went Brain dead. As you can see the escutcheons are not located in the correct places. That really burns me, but the only way to fix it would be to make four new drawers. The wife could careless but I might remake them sometime in the near future.

Rick Gifford
10-26-2007, 9:53 PM
I dunno, it looks good to me. I know your talking about the two decorative moldings, but exactly where you wanting them?

I say tell folks its what you planned all along! ;)

scott spencer
10-26-2007, 9:53 PM
Easy big guy...don't beat yourself up. If that's the worst thing that happens today, you're having a fine day IMHO! The highboy looks great! If anyone notices the location of those things, buy them a beer and listen to what other pearls of wisdom they have to offer, b/c it'll be one bright fellow! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Brian.....That highboy is priceless! I like the subtle design change you made. How clever...........

Ed Peters
10-26-2007, 10:16 PM
decorative moldings are not referred to as escutcheons. By the way Brian, I see nothing wrong with your project. That is quite a piece of work so....get over yourself and get something else started.

Ed

John McArthur
10-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, you notice the details, and that is one of the things you love about the highboy design, so much so that you have made one.

Did you use hide glue for the drawers? If so, you can probably just replace the fronts. Anyway, repairing mistakes usually goes faster than making a components the first time.

A day or two repairing the work is a small investment for many years of loving the piece every time you look at it.

The mistake aside, and we all make mistakes, nice work.

John McArthur
10-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Also, maybe the escutcheons can be moved successfully. Maybe it would mean refinishing the drawer fronts.

Gary Keedwell
10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
decorative moldings are not referred to as escutcheons. By the way Brian, I see nothing wrong with your project. That is quite a piece of work so....get over yourself and get something else started.

Ed
If he is talking about what I think he is talking about, an escutcheon is a shield-shaped emblem bearing a coat of arms. :rolleyes: :)
Gary

Rob Bodenschatz
10-26-2007, 10:54 PM
I wish my mistakes looked like that.

Greg Pavlov
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I dunno, it looks good to me. I know your talking about the two decorative moldings, but exactly where you wanting them?

I say tell folks its what you planned all along! ;)
Maybe they should have looked more like this:
http://www.goantiques.com/ebay/zoomimages.jsp?id=1387021#image2

John McArthur
10-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Greg Pavlov,

Now that is a helpful photo! Wow.

scott spencer
10-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Brian, Ironically I was just browsing through issue #132 of Am WWer and there was a pic of a similar highboy with the escutcheons in a more "functional" location, but honestly I like the look of yours better. Assuming they're added for asthetics anyway, why not locate them more symetrically like you did? Darn good idea if you ask me! :)

Nathan Conner
10-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Listen, Brian. I'm so ashamed for you to have that in your house that I'll take it off your hands and...ummm...dispose of it for you. PM me and we'll discuss shipping.

Don Bullock
10-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Brian, I guess I'm more brain dead than you are. That highboy looks fantastic to me. You should be very proud of all your hard work.

Perhaps you could explain, for those of us who wouldn't know an escutcheons from a hole in the wall, what the big problem is.

Edit: Just a guess after looking at your piece --- Are the escutcheons the key holes and they should be higher on the drawers in the upper chest?

frank shic
10-27-2007, 12:35 AM
brian, does it make you feel any better that most of us have no idea what you're talking about and just see a brilliant piece of period craftsmanship?

Mitchell Andrus
10-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Brian, bite the bullet and do them over. You'll see those every time you look at it. I've got a few spots in my kitchen that I swear I'll re-do if I can get my wife to leave for a few days.

Glaring error, easy fix.

Jeff Towle
10-27-2007, 12:46 AM
I see what you're talking about but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Beautiful piece of work by the way.

Jeff

John Kendall
10-27-2007, 1:11 AM
I wish I had that piece to complain about! Wow... that's very very nice!!

And to think I thought escutcheons were a part of a persons anatomy.:eek::confused:;)

Stan Welborn
10-27-2007, 1:14 AM
I wish I had that piece to complain about! Wow... that's very very nice!!

And to think I thought escutcheons were a part of a persons anatomy.:eek::confused:;)
Amen. And I thought it was an ocean species.:D

Ken Shoemaker
10-27-2007, 5:45 AM
I am dumb as a bag of hammers!! I don't see ANY flaws... I hope I get to a level in woodworking that TAHT is he types of flaws I can live with.

Brian, that is some darn fine work. If it were me, I focus on how well the next project will be now that this learning experience has passed....

Ken

Richard Wolf
10-27-2007, 7:50 AM
What Brian's problem is, the key hole escutcheons are located in the middle of the drawer front. The lock box behind the key hole was never that tall to lock the drawer and should have been located close to the top of each drawer.
It is a small detail on a beautiful piece. Well done.

Richard

Tim Morton
10-27-2007, 8:00 AM
Anyone wanna bet he makes new drawers???:D

Al Willits
10-27-2007, 9:15 AM
Well..depending on how anal or more politely, maybe how much of a perfectionist your are, ya have two options, leave it and let it bother ya, or...leave it while ya make a new set of drawers and hope ya can match what ya have here.

Third I guess is give it to the in-laws and make another one...:)

I guess I'd opt for the new drawers and hope I could match the finish...which in my case is doubtful.

Nice project btw.

Al

Steve Patrick
10-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Looks absolutely brilliant to me.

Once saw a really nice old chest of drawers in france that had key escutcheons in the centre like that and then had longer than usual latches that travelled up to the top of the drawer.

So don't be too hard on yourself - it looks magnificent.

Doug Morgan
10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Are you saying that the escutcheons are too low on the drawers?
I had to look up just what you were saying. I found that escutcheons are an architectural item that surrounds a keyhole or lock cylinder. On the pictures provided by Greg Pavlov, the keyholes are higher on the drawers. I only wish my work would look as good as this. You my friend are an artist. If thats what you are complaining about you have very little to worry. Fantastic job.

frank shic
10-27-2007, 11:12 AM
ok, i finally get it after looking at some of the books by glen huey: the escutcheon plates (those shield-shaped metal pieces with the keyholes) are supposed to be higher than the drawer knobs. historical accuracy is one thing, but i think centering them the way you've done it looks much better.

Dave Ray
10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Brian.... great piece. You know everyone of us looks at a project we just completed and finds flaws. I believe this is an important part of the learning in woodworking. We vow we won't make that "mistake" again.... thus learning takes place. Thank you for teaching the rest of us with your learning experince. Enjoy your beautiful crafted piece.

Scott Kilroy
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm just starting out and and when people ask me what I'm making I usually tell them "sawdust", so I hope in a few years to make something that looks at least half as good as what you've built.

Paul Girouard
10-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Brian could you replace the locking bar stock with a longer piece of steel , made aluminium bar stock ? Maybe add a small "yoke" to retain the lock / bar stock to support it , stiff it etc ??

Those little locks , generally, can be taken apart , so it seems do able , worth a look anyway.

Nice piece BTW :cool:

Richard Wagner
10-27-2007, 3:14 PM
You might as well make another - stupid mistake that is.

Send me the drawers. I'll incorporate them and you can start over.:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
10-27-2007, 4:36 PM
Well, it's a total loss. I'll be right over to get it out of your way.:D Actually, that's a fabulous piece, nice work. I'm sure you'll get that handled right away. :)

Rod Sheridan
10-29-2007, 8:27 AM
Brian, I did something similar a few years ago, and my wife talked me out of repairing it with the "you're the only one that will ever notice that" line.

Wrong, a year later her father came over (retired master cabinet maker) and said "I see you don't fix your mistakes".

A week later I was in the shop making new drawers.

The piece looks very good, however every time you look at that, you will be critical of your work. The cabinet is so nice, that you should repair it and be proud of your work.

regards, Rod.

jason lambert
10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
I had to look up what you where talking about also, Awesome piece you are talented and all of us make mistakes. I would re do them if you are posting here, seems like you are a perfectionist like me and it would bother you in time, but don't feel bad I have done similar mistakes in the past.

Gary Muto
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Beautiful piece of workmanship. If it was mine, I would 'let the dust settle", live with the piece and see if the issue fades or mocks me.
Give yourself some perspective.

James Carmichael
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Brian,

If you wanted to gloat, just go ahead, you don't have to disguise it as "boy, I screwed up". That's kinda like Tom Brady pointing out that his 5th TD pass yesterday looked a bit wobbly.

Gary Keedwell
10-29-2007, 1:38 PM
Brian,

If you wanted to gloat, just go ahead, you don't have to disguise it as "boy, I screwed up". That's kinda like Tom Brady pointing out that his 5th TD pass yesterday looked a bit wobbly.
:D :D I love that analogy. Years ago I made my garage into a media room. I took out the collar ties and installed 2X10's to hold it together. Well, I boxed it in with long 14' pine boards for the face of the beam. There was one that was about 1/4 too short, but I knew I was the only one that would notice.
Every nite while sitting in my recliner, my eyes would inadvertently wander up to the beam and my LOML would catch me staring at it. For over a year I said that "some day I'll take that down and put another one up" It wasn't till a woodworking friend came over and I showed him the room. It took all of 30 seconds before he pointed at it.Needless to say, my wife thought I was nuts when I took the whole thing down and refabricated a new one. It took most of one day but it sure was nice looking up there every nite and not seeing that gap.
Gary

Doug Shepard
10-29-2007, 1:42 PM
Well I'm sure glad that Greg posted that pic. After staring for a while, I started wondering if you were supposed to put them inside the drawers, cuz I sure didn't notice anything wrong.
Nice job.

Josiah Bartlett
10-29-2007, 1:52 PM
I have a builtin in my dining room that I made, and it wraps around a corner. It has a window-sill style bottom above the baseboard, set into wainscotting, matched in height by the windows in the bay. Nobody but me notices that the apron is flush with the end of the sill on one end but the sill is proud of the apron by 1/2" around the corner.

Bill Brehme
10-29-2007, 8:39 PM
Brian, are you OK?:confused:

Sure haven't replied for awhile.:(

OK, put down the axe!!:eek:

BTW, inspiring piece!:cool: On the WW evolutionary scale I'm about up to your ankle!!!:D

Dan Drager
10-29-2007, 10:57 PM
I would bet everything I own that he is going to make new drawers.