PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get larger jaws for my SN2 : power Grip or 100mm?

Bob Opsitos
10-26-2007, 8:12 PM
I'm looking to get some larger jaws, to better grip some larger bowls and platters, and was looking at both the 100mm jaw set and the power grip jaw set while at woodcraft today.

Near as I can tell the spigot and recess diameters are nearly the same, but the power grips are deeper and could be used for end grain hollow forms where the 100mm jaws are not recommended for such things.

I'm thinking that the power grips make the best sense, as i get larger bowl capacity and greater endgrain form capacity but wanted to check in case the 100mm's are much better for bowls for some reason.

Price was the same.

thanks
bob

Allen Neighbors
10-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Bob, I bought the 100mm jaws, and wish I had gotten the power grip. I use the 100mm jaws on larger bowls, and they work very well.
If you think about it, the Powergrip jaws can still be used for large bowls, just like the 100mm, they'll grip a short tenon with the dovetail, but they are also awesome for long, unsupported end grain turning.
I finally gave up thinking about it, and just ordered the Titan Chuck.

Skip Spaulding
10-27-2007, 9:28 AM
I have the power grip and use them with the Mc Naughton system. No problems so far.

Jason Clark2
10-27-2007, 1:36 PM
I elected to get the Powergrip jaws. Like Skip I use them to core with the Mcnaughton system with a large deep tenon and can use them on a shallow recess or a short tenon on a large platter. I also use them to grip the outside of some lidded boxes.

Jason

Don McIvor
10-27-2007, 2:37 PM
Ditto on the power grip jaws and the McNaughton system. I use the power grips on platters, large bowls, vases, and coring tasks--they're pretty handy. I have been wishing for something between the power grips and the 50mm when the mass and foot size demands something different. Guess I'll have to go shopping...

Don

Kevin McPeek
10-28-2007, 2:52 PM
Between the two I'd say power grip, with the extra depth it gives you some more room to work near the chuck.
If you want to do larger platters go with the 130mm jaws, I have been really happy with those when I've used them. They are recommended for expansion grip. I've turned platters using only about 1/16" deep recess.

Now if I only had enough chucks to match all the jaws.

Paul Engle
10-28-2007, 7:54 PM
I have the 100mm on my SN2, if I could core ( jet 1236) or turn larger than 12 in more often , I'd get the power grip for sure.