PDA

View Full Version : Crush Grind pepper mill

Jerry Allen
10-26-2007, 7:00 PM
I just ordered a ceramic Crush Grind pepper mill kit from PSI last Sunday and got it Thursday. Great service.

The ceramic mechanism is the smoothest mill I have ever used.
Here's my first attempt. I think I will use a bigger blank next time to get a fatter base. Although this one is stable, I think it needs more curves. Woods are red oak (nasty grain-should have used white oak), poplar, walnut, maple and jatoba (last 3 from George Perzel--thinwoods--see classifieds).

No glue was used as all Crush Grind instructions I've seen call for. Just cut critcal holes small and made small cuts and sanded to get a press fit. The mechanism is smoother than a metal one, so a press fit seems to work fine. I can still take it apart if necessary and glue, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Need to add some laser engraving to personalize it. My nephew and his wife collect these, so I'm sure they will like it.

(The little hollow form bowl is sycamore pruned from my yard).

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2007, 7:10 PM
Great looking pieces Jerry. I really like the peppermill. What finish did you use?

Jerry Allen
10-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Thanks Bernie.

I frictioned on a couple of coats of sanding sealer, and a few coats of BLO, Zinser shellac, and DNA mix. Probably should have used use some poly, but it's not a cooking utensil and I don't think it will really get handled that much. We'll see, but next time I'll try my spar varnish mix.

Wayne Boian
10-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Jerry,
Both the Mill and HF look very nice.

This is the first I have heard of a mix with BLO, Shellac and DNA. Was it applied the same as the sanding sealer?

Wayne

Jerry Allen
10-27-2007, 9:23 AM
Thanks Wayne,
Yes, applied the same. I usually cut the sanding sealer but did not this time and it still worked okay. Same goes for straight Zinser shellac right out of the can. I usually cut it, but sometimes not. Depends on the wood or if I'm having a problem getting it to harden and look right.
BLO, shellac and DNA mixed (1/3 ea.) are basically the same as expensive friction polishes. I used to buy Hut Crystal Coat. which I think is about $11 or $12 for 6 oz. You can make a lot of your own buying them separately, in addition to be able to tweak the mix or using straight for different uses. Sometimes I just use BLO straight. Sometimes just shellac.
Zinser blonde shellac by the way has a real long shelf life and you don't have to prepare it.
You can make your own wiping poly too, which I used to buy and is way more expensive. Just take your favorite poly or spar varnish and cut it with thinner. Works just a good as the expensive premixed stuff, and again you can tweak the mixture ratios as you like.

David Epperson
10-27-2007, 9:45 AM
No glue was used.......
I know what you meant...but I still had the thought "Then how did he get all those different woods to stay together?" :D

Jerry Allen
10-27-2007, 9:56 AM
David,
Yeah, that would be tough to do, but a real breakthrough in woodworking.

Jerry Allen
10-28-2007, 1:37 PM
Here's another pepper mill which I think I like better.
The photo kind of distorts the way it really looks.
The knob at the top has dark walnut tips which don't show, so the knob looks distorted and the view angle makes the whole top look too big for the bottom, but in real life the bottom is the larger.
Not quite finished. On this one I used a few rubbed in coats of straight BLO first which made it darker than the last.

David Fried
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
they're both nice but I think I'm partial to the first one - it's somewhat understated. I also like the little hollow form you snuck in there.

Jerry Allen
10-29-2007, 2:02 PM
Thanks David.
I think I need to redo the photos because the angle makes them both look top heavy which is not the case. The bases are larger.
Maybe you are right: that long stripe and all the cuts might be a little busy. I think the photo distortion is misleading, especially on the second one.

Jerry Allen
10-31-2007, 5:40 PM
Here's another photo.
Can't say these are my best work, but the photo is a little better.
I obviously need to devise a tent.

Sherwood Smith
09-10-2011, 2:33 AM
I tried my hand at making a mill w/ the Crush Grind also, here's what I came up with. I like yours maybe better though..Top one is cherry, then walnut below.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/1vulcan/DSCN2589.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/1vulcan/DSCN2590.jpg