PDA

View Full Version : PM outboard stand

Hilel Salomon
10-26-2007, 6:21 PM
Hey Folks,

I ordered an outboard stand for my 3520B through Mann tools and when I got it home and started to put it together, I came upon a problem. As with all PM lathe related stuff, it is very heavy and will be sturdy. Problem is that in order to get the base and leg connected, there are two 5/8" socket head cap screws, and my shop didn't have an allen key larger than 3/8". In fact neither Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Napa, True Value or any place else I could think of had an allen wrench larger than 3/8". I may have the problem solved because Mann will lend me a hex socket, but that's an awful lot of trouble. I think that PM should provide one with their stand, but.... I did want to let those of you thinking of getting this to be prepared. I'll let you know how good it is, but it is a heavy monster. If I have too much vibration, I don't think that it will be too difficult to tie it into the lathe.

Tom Bucanan
10-26-2007, 7:41 PM
I would love to know how that outboard stand works out. I have been thinking about gettng one for my 4224 (I believe they will fit the larger PMs also), but I am hesitating on whether or not it is worth it and whether or not it will be sturdy enough. Oneway has a really nice outboard setup, but I don't know if it will fit the PM.

Dale Miner
10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
For a one time use, you could get a 7/16 bolt one inch long, and two nuts. Put the two nuts on the bolt, and jam them against each other. The head of the 7/16 bolt is 5/8, so then use the head in the socket of the cap screws, and use a wrench on the nuts that are jammed together. Not pretty, but will work in a pinch.

Dale M

Allen Neighbors
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Listen to you, Dale Miner. You're a genius. What an idea! :) Seriously.

Hilel Salomon
10-27-2007, 8:25 AM
Tom, If I'm not mistaken PM makes an outboard specifically for the larger lathe. I remember seeing a schemata that didn't make sense until I realized that it was for the 4xxx lathe. Having said that, the one I got is a stand alone which should work with any lathe. It consists of a single heavy (I'm guessing about 60 lb leg with appropriate place to put the banjo and a pretty heavy brace that creates a pyramid type angle. It is not connected in any way to the lathe. I don't know how it will hold up, but I'll certainly let you know. Right now, I don't have any wood that's over 20 inches, but over the winter, I'm going to have to cut up some fallen oak trees which will be large. If the stand moves around, I may opt to tie it in somehow to the lathe itself, but I'll let you know.
Dale, that's a great suggestion showing ingenuity and imagination. I wish I had those talents. Thanks, Hilel.

Skip Spaulding
10-27-2007, 9:41 AM
Guys like Dale are what make this such a great site!