PDA

View Full Version : Pen kits - Quality?

Jeff Clow
10-26-2007, 2:40 PM
I am getting set up to start turning some pens for the first time and was wondering if there is a difference in quality in pen kits between different suppliers. There are several reputable places I can buy pen kits in the Atlanta area, but have been seeing kits in catalogs and on the internet much cheaper. Is there a difference in quality between suppliers?
I wouldn't mind saving some money (it could add up after a few pens), but after turning what I hope to be a beautiful pen, I'd hate to find out I put it together with a junky kit.

Nancy Laird
10-26-2007, 2:49 PM
Jeff, I have found the best pen kits from Berea Hardwoods, http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/index.cfm. When you call, talk to Jim; he seems to be the only one there who has much sense!!

Lots of people claim that Arizona Silhouette kits are better; however, many of their kits come from Berea. The biggest plus for AS is that they always throw a "goodie" or two in the box--freebie blanks, usually.

The kits from Craft Supply that are NOT the same as the Berea kits are good kits too, and at CS you can order clips, center bands, etc. to change the looks of the standard kits.

From word of mouth from others, I'd stay away from PSI kits--I've heard of poor fit, poor finish, and poor quality from their kits. I have NOT used any PSI kits, as I have avoided them to this point based on what others have said here and on other pen-turning forums. It may be that the complainers have gotten some bad kits, because others swear by them. I recently bought a bunch of kits from someone who was selling out his stock and they are mostly PSI kits, and I'm anxious to try them and see how they turn out.

Nancy (56 days)

Wayne Bitting
10-26-2007, 2:51 PM
Jeff - I've been using PSI ones for a few years and have sold about 100 of them to co-workers and friends without any complaints. I have a set in each of my lab jackets and on my desk, I use them every day and they still look fine to me. Regardless of who you buy them from, I think they all come from China anyway.

Bobby Perry
10-26-2007, 4:16 PM
I make a lot of the PSI kits and have had a few problems but nothing to worry about. I found the problems before hand. I called PSI and got replacements right away. Most of the kits I buy come from woodturningz.com. They have the best prices. They just resale PSI stuff.

Bonnie Campbell
10-26-2007, 6:03 PM
The one thing I hear a lot about is the gold finishes. I hear they don't hold up well. I don't know since I've not made enough pens to say first hand.

Bobby Perry
10-26-2007, 6:37 PM
Here is another place you can try
http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/Pen_Kits.htm

robert hainstock
10-26-2007, 6:49 PM
I have used PSI pen kits for several years now. I buy them from Woodturningz. com. YThey will sell anything in the Penn State cataolog. The kits are what you pay for. Never have encountered poor fit or finish that I did not have something to do with. they are as go:mad: d as you want them to be. As with any thing, there is a learning curve.
bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2007, 7:13 PM
Ernie at Beartooth Woods is about as good to deal with as any. He is a good guy to work with. Any problems are taken care of quick.

Barry Elder
10-26-2007, 7:31 PM
Jeff, it might be a good thing for you to find out the difference in the different finishes before you order, there is 24 carat gold, 10 carat gold, gold titanium, black titanium, and some others. I believe Berea and Craft Supply explain the different ones on their sites.

Ron Raymond
10-26-2007, 8:53 PM
As Barry said, read up on the various finishes on those websites...I know Arizona Silhouette has an excellent write-up about finishes. I think the Craft Supplies Catalog rates their finishes on an "x" out of 5 stars system, or something like that. Most of the comlaints I see over on IAP have to do with longevity of the finishes. Everybody, including the sellers, say that 24k gold probably won't last a long time, although some folks claim to have been carrying one for years with no problems. 10k (or Upgrade Gold in some catalogs) is a much more durable finish, and titanium gold is the most durable gold finish. Black titanium and platinum are both near the top of the durability scale. I think most satin finishes are somewhere between 24k and 10k on the scale.

All that being said, I don't have any problem with using the more economical kits, but I will try to match the kit to the blank. If I'm using a $5 burl blank, I'm not going to put it on a $1.70 kit.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
10-27-2007, 7:31 AM
As you have read most kits are resold via retailers, there are few actual unique sources of kits. Berea is a good source, resold by a wide range of retailers. Not all Berea kits are to my liking, I make just a few. I also like CSUSA kits, again not all of their offerings are to my liking.

I make my design choices also based on plate offerings, I stay away from the cheaper less durable plate. I also make choices on my pen turning materials based on the pen designs I choose. I turn about 400 pens a year, I also look for durability in the mechanisms of the pens I make. A lot more to consider but all important.

Of my pen dollar I buy primarly from three sources, William Woodwrite (www.penblanks.ca), CSUSA and Lee Valley.:)