PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Scrollsaw Bed

Jeff Yates
10-26-2007, 1:05 PM
I inherited a Delta Scrollsaw, problem is it is fairly neglected, it sat out in a garage and the bed rusted.

So the question I've got is how to clean it, and if it's pitted, should I just bring it in for the metal shop here to turn down the surface?

John Terefenko
10-27-2007, 11:08 AM
No need to have it turned down if pitted. Just take some emery cloth to sand down the top and then put a coat of butchers wax on the top. What alot of scrollers do is cut an auxillary table top out of plexi and double side tape it to the top. What that does is gives a nice smooth surface and a smaller hole so things do not drop down when cutting tiny fret work. I myself make this top larger than my table so I can cut larger pieces and not have them tip off. I do have a RBI 20" and 26" saws.

Ken Deckelman
10-27-2007, 1:13 PM
When I rebuilt an old metal lathe I bought, I scrubbed the rusted surfaces with a course (maroon) scotchbrite pad and WD40. It's messy, but the results are great. Do a final cleanup with lacquer thinner then then apply paste wax (I like Butchers) for protection and smoothness.