PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Work Table

Joe Pelonio
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a 4'x8' work table that I use for sign work, and have spent months trying different lighting to illuminate it to be able to weed white vinyl. The problem is that I have to see the plotter cuts and the backing is white too, so there's no contrast. According to my eye doctor the reading glasses help with seeing small but don't help with contrast (I'm getting old).

I started with a hanging 2 bulb florescent shoplight. Not enough light.

The glare from spots and floods made it worse, plus the heat from spots was causing problems with the vinyl softening. Finally yesterday I went to a commercial and industrial lighting place and came back with a 2x4 4 bulb flush mount florescent fixture.

My question is, what exactly does the honeycomb diffuser do? It's plastic, the insides all mirrored with 1.5" square openings. I figured to leave it off, that it would reduce the light coming through to the table, but have tried it both ways and there's no noticeable difference.I can see the cut lines on the white vinyl nicely ether way. Is it going to reduce the light to the rest of the area?

The only real problem is that when I look up I feel like I'm in the dentist chair!

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2007, 11:31 AM
it to be able to weed white vinyl. The problem is that I have to see the plotter cuts and the backing is white too

I'm not sure but I'm guessing there are typos.
What is it to "weed white vinyl"~??
And what are "plotter cuts"~??

My question is, what exactly does the honeycomb diffuser do?

It literally diffuses light while absorbing as little as possible. The mirrored surfaces are intended to eliminate absorption of light.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
it to be able to weed white vinyl. The problem is that I have to see the plotter cuts and the backing is white too

My question is, what exactly does the honeycomb diffuser do?

It literally diffuses light while absorbing as little as possible. The mirrored surfaces are intended to eliminate absorption of light.

You might try good lighting from more than one position around the area you are trying to illuminate.
Contrast can be helped or hindered by various colors of light. Have you tried a yellow glass shooter's lens?

David G Baker
10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I use the new daylight fluorescent screw in type bulbs for taking digital photos for Ebay. When I want to diffuse the light I cover the reflector with a material that if semitransparent and cuts the harsh glare. This could help some.
The honeycomb diffuser does exactly that, diffuses the light, it makes the light softer and less of an eye strain as well as helps spread the light evenly throughout the room.
Polarized lenses in a set of glasses may also work for you.

Joe Pelonio
10-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Sorry, I should have explained. The lettering on many signs is made from cut vinyl sheeting. We cut the lettering on a plotter that has a knife blade, and then manually remove the background waste before applying to a board (weeding).

The lense you mentioned is something I would wear? Are they available at gun shops?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Joe.....Go to any shooting sports...fishing sporting goods store. They make make yellow lens in glasses the dramatically increase contrast and brightness. I first used them in ski goggles. On a cloudy day they increase the contrast so you can see the changes in the snow surface.

Larry Conely
10-26-2007, 1:03 PM
You might try a side light directional source. Place it behind (beside, whatever) and just above the surface so it rakes the working area. It can make the slightest cut or surface irregularity appear.

Joe Pelonio
10-26-2007, 1:27 PM
After using it for a few hours this is far better than anything else I've done for lighting before, even with the diffuser on. The added advantage to leaving that on is protecting the bulbs, since it's possible for me to hit them with a sign when I flip it over.

I'll look at the yellow lenses next time I'm at a sporting goods store.

Thanks.