PDA

View Full Version : Resawing on a Jet JWBS-14CSW (1hp) Bandsaw?

Danny Thompson
10-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a used Jet JWBS-14CSW bandsaw. It is 1 hp, and I believe is the same as the JWBS-14CS, but with the miter guage and fence thrown in.

I am a hobbyist with the expectation of cutting tenons, cutting curves, and doing some resawing (Padauk, Macore, Leopardwood) potentially wider than 6", so I would need to add a riser block. I won't be doing a ton of resawing, though, so speed isn't a real concern as much as effectiveness.

So, my question is is the 14CSW a decent saw for this kind of work? Or should I just wait until I can afford a 1 1/2 hp?

Jerry Allen
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
If the price is right, go for it. If it is in nice condition and is less than $400. You may still have to spend some on tuneup, blades and add ons.

I have an old 14" Summit from HF I got in 1987. Lots of modifications to get it working right. Linkbelt, roller guides, wheel balancing, tension spring, removing the crappy stepped pulleys, added 6" riser, adding a tension adjustment extension and dust chute. The blade I use is a 1/2" x 105" Wood Slicer--great blade. The motor is only 3/4HP but I can cut 10" oak nice and straight. It's just slow. If I had the money, I'd get a Grizzly 0555X with a riser or better yet, the 17" G0513 2HP if I could afford it.

Doug Shepard
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
That's pretty much the same saw I had and just wasn't happy with the resaw results
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25068
Out of sheer frustration, I finally bit the bullet and bought a MM16.
Up to resawing about 6" (the non-riser block height) things were OK (not great), but started to go downhill as height increased. It's a nice BS but resawing isnt one of it's strong points.

Mike Cutler
10-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Danny.
I have the 14" Jet bandsaw.
I added Carter guides.
A Carter Cobra Coil Spring.
Re machined the tension assembly.
Added a riser kit.
Modified the saw to accomodate dust collection.
I used Woodslicer 1/2" resaw blades from Highland hardware.

It was still only marginal at best resawing. In fairness I will say that it would cut veneer thick slices pretty effectively, but If you wanted to take 6/4, or 8/4 material and resaw it for bookmatching. it just wouldn't do it. The blade would wander too much.
I think the veneer slicing worke because there was less pressure on the blade, and somehow the heat may have dissipated better.
If resawing is what you are primarily after. I would wait.

Danny Thompson
10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Jerry, not under $400, but comes with a mobile base.

Doug, Wow! Great thread. Thanks for the link.

Mike, it sounds like all the necessary upgrades would exceed the price difference.

Clearly, the answer is, "Wait!"

Thanks guys.

Josiah Bartlett
10-26-2007, 3:16 PM
Well, if you think it is a real bargain, you could get it now and then resell it when you can afford the bigger machine. I suppose it depends on how much you really think you are going to need to resaw. If the saw still provides utility to you, why wait? I wouldn't sink much money into upgrading it, though.

Mike Cutler
10-27-2007, 5:01 AM
Mike, it sounds like all the necessary upgrades would exceed the price difference.

Clearly, the answer is, "Wait!"

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that was kinda what I was trying to point out.
I own 2 bandsaws now. The Jet and an 18" Rikon specifically setup for resawing. I still use the Jet for the smaller, curvy stuff.
The Jet is a fine 14" bandsaw. A very nice machine, although I like the lower guide bearing setup on the Delta 14" better.
If you don't have a pressing need, I'd wait awhile.

glenn bradley
10-27-2007, 9:51 AM
Speaking from the experience of getting a lesser saw and buying all the add-ons to make it 'usable' I would recommend waiting to get a larger saw. If you were cutting 6" and above every now and then you could probably muddle through. Given the eventual price of the saw plus the add-ons and the fact that you want to use it for tall cuts; I would wait.