PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander

Don L Johnson
10-26-2007, 8:52 AM
If the stock market gods are nice to me, I see a drum sander in my future. I notice Amazon has 3 different Proformax 22/44's for sale. Is there a big enough difference to justify the $2,300 vice the $1,200 one. Secondly, what's the difference in the two that are in the $2,000 price range. Lastly, is there a better alternative for someone that has a garage workshop where everything has to be on wheels? Thanks as always!!

Don Johnson

Nathan Conner
10-26-2007, 9:41 AM
Hey, Don. I got a Delta X5 18/36 sander a couple of years ago. A few weeks ago, I was tempted to sell it because I realized it had been collecting dust since I bought it, used it once, and it sat in the corner.

So, I figure I'll give it a shot at use for a bit before I sell it, so I've intentionally been using it regularly, and I really, really enjoy it. I'm now using it to put a finish on all my flat panels before I assemble anything. I used it for a set of door rails and stiles last week, and they turned out perfectly. Then I resawed some bubinga, alder, and cherry, and made bookmatch panels, and ran those through as well - they turned out very well. I mounted the entire unit on a 5-minute portable cart (two pieces of MDF screwed/glued with wheels mounted on the bottom), and it rolls around anywhere.

It was about $850 when I bought it, and I looked long and hard at the performax and this unit. The price was similar, and the Delta had some more size, and easier-to-install paper strips. BUT, if you plan on making outfeed tables, you may have issues. Because the platen moves up and down, and the head stays in place, the head is more stable (so I've heard) and gives you more repeatable results. But that means that any outfeed table would have to be adjustable in the same manner, which is really hard to do reliably. I have very minor snipe issues - nothing 10 seconds with a pad sander can't knock down, and all in all, it's been good to me this past month or so.

I can't think of any reason I'd want a more expensive/larger one. I use it some on every project now, and it's doing great. Since I usually sand unassembled (though I've run little boxes and things through it - anything under 6" in height), I can't think of a reason I'd need more than 36" of width. But, your intentions may vary.

Anyhow - that's been my experience with the Delta, and I've really been enjoying it. You could purchase this model, save some cash, and buy yourself 5 years' worth of paper to go with it. The 5-year warranty was a plus, too.

Good luck!

Mike Spanbauer
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Don,

There are some notable differences between the 22-44Pro and the 22-44Plus unit. The price differential is substantial though as you noted.

The plus is merely a direct drive unit with the motor mounted inline with the drum. The Pro is a belt driven unit with the motor mounted below the sander. Same motor in both units though (1.75leeson)

Both come equipped with the smartsand feature which I believe to be a VERY nice to have function.

The pro has a VERY sturdy arm that the drum mounts to and reduces deflection I'd assume. The Plus does not. The Pro also has 2 very strong pillars that the entire unit mounts to where the plus either doesn't include a stand at all, or does and it's sheet metal.

For the record, I own a proto unit that is between the two. It's a Pro head with a single extremely stout post (1/2 of the current Pro model) and it performs very well indeed.

I find that while I don't use the 22" capacity that often, when it is needed, it is very nice indeed.

I'd rather have a double drum 25" unit though as I've VERY rarely needed to exceed 22" and the 25"'s all come with larger moters and improved head controls. The Powermatic and the General both receive high marks repeatedly. In addition, the woodmaster units have a rabidly loyal following.

hope this gives you some things to think about :)

mike

Jeff Bond
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Don, I have the powermatic dual drum sander. It has a 25" capacity and is very heavy duty. I think i paid about 2,300.00 for it about a year ago. The only problem you might have with it is the extreme weight of the machine, I think it is in the 750-800 pound range. I have had very good luck with this sander though. It has a 5 hp motor for the drums and small seperate motor for the conveyor belt. I think it would be a big step up from the models you are talking about if you can find a base to make it mobile. Good luck...:)

John Bush
10-26-2007, 3:31 PM
Hi Don,
I had a 16-32 and used it all the time. I had never used a drum sander before and was pleased with the results. I did find it was a slow process, and if I got in too big of a hurry I would pop the amp overload on the motor then have to wait for the stock to run thru and the reset to reset. I bought a used Performax ShoPro 25" that is not open ended and it is a much more substantial machine. I don't anticipate needing any greater width and the power is far better. I initially thought it had the SandSmart system because the feed rate would slow as the load on the drum increased, But after closer observation, the feed belt was slipping. I called the crew at Supermax tools and they sent me a Sandsmart upgrade and now I'm set for a long time to come. I still use 1/8 turn increments for the drum heigth adjustments, but just set the feed rate on high and let it run. No need to stand there with your hand on the feed-rate control to adjust the speed when you sense too much load on the drum. Soooo,,,, I would recommend a unit with lots of power(belt drive?) and the SandSmart system.The 25 I have has a great mobile base, but it does take up more space than the 22-44. Good luck, John.

Mike Dauphinee
10-26-2007, 3:41 PM
A drum sander is one thing I would want on wheels in my shop. An invaluable tool for it's use, but not an everyday tool and space is always a premium for me as is workflow ergonomics. But (Behold Underlying Truth), you certainly do not have to use their system for wheels. There are many alternatives.

Bill Wyko
10-26-2007, 4:51 PM
I've had the JET 2244 for about a year now. It works perfectly and has never stumbled when put to the test. What does the other one offer that the JET doesn't?

Tom Cowie
10-27-2007, 7:22 PM
Don, I have the powermatic dual drum sander. It has a 25" capacity and is very heavy duty. I think i paid about 2,300.00 for it about a year ago. The only problem you might have with it is the extreme weight of the machine, I think it is in the 750-800 pound range. I have had very good luck with this sander though. It has a 5 hp motor for the drums and small seperate motor for the conveyor belt. I think it would be a big step up from the models you are talking about if you can find a base to make it mobile. Good luck...:)

Another vote for the dual drums. I also have the PM DDS-225. I bought a mobile base from the dealer when I bought the machine. The base is made for the sander not one size fits all. It is a very heavy set up but it moves just fine. If your looking too spend over 2000 then that opens up a whole new catalogue.

Good luck

Tom

I'll add that very good dust collection is a must not an option for this machine.