PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
10-26-2007, 6:20 AM
Friday October 26th, 2007

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

WOW! Is it just me or is this month gone by really quick. Less than 2 months till the happy guy in the red suit visits. :eek:

To those of you in SoCal, hang in there. I used to live there and remember this time of year with the fires, although I don't remember any this wide spread. And to those of you in the south east [GA, SC, NC, VA, et al] I hope you get some meaningful rain.

My weekend will be spent working on refinishing the china/curio cabinet. I've made some headway over these last few days, but still have more sanding and prepping before I can put on a new finish and get it hung in the house. I'm also going to try and spend some time on a shelf for the grand-daughter's room. Not much else going on around here as it's supposed to be rainy, I think. Oh, I still need to get some more winterizing done outside.

So, what's happening in your part of the world? Fun, games, work, goofing off [hey, we all need to goof off sometimes], fishing, hunting?

Whatever it may be, I hope it's a good one. And above all a SAFE one.

Karl

Jim Kountz
10-26-2007, 7:54 AM
Well Karl like alot of other parts of the east were getting more rain today. 3rd day in a row for us now. Im heading off to a Log Home expo in Chantilly, VA to meet with some reps of Appalachian Log Structures. Shake some hands and kiss some babies kind of thing and hopefully come away with some good contacts and perhaps a job or two.
Other than that when I get back tonight and tomorrow I'll be in the shop working on repairs of a few kitchen cabs for a customer that got damaged when their water heater burst last winter. Whoever removed these things just kind of ripped them off the wall knowing full well the home owner wanted to save them. Needless to say thats why hes no longer on the job now and I am!! Hopefully in the middle of some of this I will get a chance to spin a blank or two on the ol lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2007, 8:30 AM
SHOP......SHOP........SHOP.......

Caulk, a little mud repair............Paint........

The new b/s and lathe still sitting there crated Nancy!

Vernon Taylor
10-26-2007, 8:59 AM
Heading to Hickory NC for Klingspoor's annual extravaganza. Have went for past several years and have enjoyed it. Taking 11 yr. okd grandson,he tells me what I need for our shop.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2007, 9:36 AM
After working some long days all week I'm putting in a virtual appearance at work this morning and then starting my weekend. This will be the first weekend home in a month since we spent the last 3 weekends fall camping, which I love to do. We've been working on cleaning up some clutter so I'll be doing some rearranging in the garage and the basement. I also plan to finish my new drill press table, which I've been working on for about 2 months now and possibly get started on an easel for my daughter for Christmas. And there's a dywall wall by our basement steps that never got taped when the house built but my wife wants to paint so I need to work on that as well.

On Sunday I'm supposed to help my mom and my brother clean out my parent's attic (just because it needs to be done, not for any bad reason) and discuss remodeling plans my parents' bathroom now that I've done mine and they are apparently jealous. :D That project would involve me building a couple cabinets.

Mike Jones NM
10-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Looks like the b-day party for the kiddos 13th on Saturday and then she wants to go mountain climbing on Sunday.
Should be "fun" as I have never been on this mountain she wants to try, the down side is that where she wants to end up is only about 600 feet to the bottom.:eek:
Working on going over the climbing equipment today.
A word to the wise, never raise a daughter that is afraid of NOTHING:(
Here is a picture I found on the web of the climbing area. The rock that looks like a chair is the destination
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2292839610043547488mJVSsZ

Vernon Taylor
10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
We have one of those daughters,it got to the point that we did not ask until Monday what she did on the weekend. She has done hang gliding,caving, mountain climbimg.competive biking,volunteered to figh forest fires.almost drowned when a chunk of ice broke off a glacier in Alaska,fell out of a tree while working on wuldlife project with woodpeckers,and broke her shoulder while riding a mountain bike down a ski slope. She has asthma but refuses to let it stop her. She is now 37 and all"grown" up. She has a degree in wildlife management and works for the defense department in enviromental affairs for the Marines. This summer she helped detonate unexploded ordinance on a former bombimg range. Keeps things interesting.

Chris Foley
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Just finished moving 10 days ago....unpacking....unpacking....ugh....unpacking :(

Bill Wyko
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Still working on the BILs Humidor.:o

Danny Thompson
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Poppin' my first fettle . . . tuning my "new" Stanley Bailey #4 (Type 11) bought off the eeb. I need to lap the sole; remove light rust from the cap, chip breaker, and iron; and sharpen.

Rod Sheridan
10-26-2007, 1:18 PM
I'll be installing a post formed counter top for one of my neighbours.........I musk have sucker stamped on my forehead.............Rod

Mike Jones NM
10-26-2007, 1:26 PM
We have one of those daughters,it got to the point that we did not ask until Monday what she did on the weekend. She has done hang gliding,caving, mountain climbimg.competive biking,volunteered to figh forest fires.almost drowned when a chunk of ice broke off a glacier in Alaska,fell out of a tree while working on wuldlife project with woodpeckers,and broke her shoulder while riding a mountain bike down a ski slope. She has asthma but refuses to let it stop her. She is now 37 and all"grown" up. She has a degree in wildlife management and works for the defense department in enviromental affairs for the Marines. This summer she helped detonate unexploded ordinance on a former bombimg range. Keeps things interesting.
Sounds like some things my kiddo would enjoy LOL
Ahe has helped the game and fish department trap turkey (well below freezing in 8" of snow, sitting in a blind for 8 hours) and is trying to see about getting in on an antelope trapping project.
Needless to say I have LOT'S of grey hair, but at least I still have hair.

Brodie Brickey
10-26-2007, 1:46 PM
I'm putting in 3 upper kitchen cabinets. Installing baseboards and casing.

Dimensioning some lumber for face frames.

David Duke
10-26-2007, 3:21 PM
Gonna start on the honey-do list this weekend, I've been busy just about all year but SHMBO has decided enough is enough and its her turn:eek::eek:. Tomorrow I hope to get the yard cleaned up from the high winds we had earlier in the week then I plan on washing down the house, garage and shop (theres my shop time :mad:.) Sunday I plan on removing the old caulk from our shower and re-caulking and that afternoon I hope hope to finalize the plans for our pantry cabinetry addition.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend.

Jim O'Dell
10-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Well, I started my TS saw overblade pickup last weekend. I cut the hole for the 4" flex hose mount last night. Will start epoxying tonight. Then design how I'll mount it to the ceiling. Anyone have a spare grooming table arm clamp? :D Jim.

Tom Fortier
10-26-2007, 10:14 PM
On call for work this weekend, but if all is quiet, I hope to get the shop back in order after a Spring, Summer, and early Fall of little activity there.

Dave Lindgren
10-27-2007, 2:40 AM
Pretty much the same as I do every day since I retired EXCEPT I'm doing it in my newly created (from an oversized single car garage) shop. Getting a GP workbench built along one wall, and finally getting my old Griz 1023 tuned back up after moving it to Hawaii and back to Oreygun. Had to replace my Vega fence because of the corrosion from living 5 blocks from the ocean. I figure two more weeks and I can actually start working in the shop:D.

Dave (hoping to make wooddust again soon) Lindgren

Al Willits
10-27-2007, 9:25 AM
Beasties at work till noon today so I'm just taking it easy, downloaded plans for a TV stand (coffee table) and end tables so I need to get the roof for the car/boat port oughta my shop and onto the car/boat port, then clean a bit and get the braizilan Cherry I bought outta the rafters and start working on wood again, still have the stairs railing in progress, but I need to run some white oak though the planer so will do that with the cherry.

40 degree's right now so if the resorcinol and I are gonna get friendly, going to have fire the furnace in the garage....winter is here..grrrrrrrr

May go fishing tomm if I can find my quad parka. :)
Have a safe and well weekend.

Nic the check is in the mail....almost.:D
Al

Jim Becker
10-27-2007, 2:26 PM
The older has a karate tournament on Saturday so most of the day is toast. And I have "work work" to do on Sunday. So no woodworking this weekend. I am going to pop into the addition for a few minutes to install some LV "boxes" in the places where speaker wire comes out of the walls.

Tom Maple
10-27-2007, 2:51 PM
Installing door casing and baseboard in my wife's "craft room". Then I have to hang two sets of bypass closet doors in the same room.
When her hobby room is done I can get back to the barn and continue setting up my work shop.