PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe I Did That - Owwww

Leigh Costello
10-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I love to use my chainsaw - my hubby loves to use my chainsaw. I am very adept at harvesting burls and cutting the rest for firewood. I have cut wood for quite a few years. I am usually very safety oriented. Until Tuesday.

The cool weather of October finally reached us here in eastern Missouri. Time to stack the seasoned wood from last fall's cutting and cut for next fall's stacking. Hubby went out every evening last week and cut up the storm damaged trees that had fallen. I went out Tuesday evening to see if he needed any help. He had already cut up one tree and was working on a second that had fallen downhill and across a ditch.

After starting the saw and beginning my turn at my second favorite hobby, I zipped thru several cuts. Then, near disaster, I stepped in a hole and nearly fell. I had the sense to let the saw fall on the far side of the tree trunk. Once I recovered the saw and found better footing, I zipped thru a couple of more cuts, stopping just short of cutting thru because the trunk was flush to the ground. Then the saw ran out of gas. Not a problem, because the sun had nearly set.

Hubby and I decided to roll the trunk and finish the cuts at a later date. He heaved and I ho-ed and the log rolled and teetered and then rolled again. Right onto my right foot and ankle. It stopped on my foot and ankle. We somehow rolled it back and I just laid down in the leaves. Holy cow, did that hurt! After many agonizing minutes, hubby decided to go get the truck 'cuz the foot didn't look good. Let me pause a moment and state that I have very loose bones and ligaments. Which, by the way, has resulted in many corrective surgeries.

While he went for the truck I sat up and deciding I could at least reposition my foot, I turned my ankle with my hands. Not too bad, the pain lessened. And the sunset was awesome. I got up and tested a step. Not too bad, so I walked up the hill - gimped up the hill. I yelled for hubby to come back and help me walk to the house. Once we were in the house I iced my ankle and some pain relievers.

Long story short, went to the orthopedic surgeon today. X-rays were clean, no broken bones. No obvious torn tendons etc. He was amazed that I hadn't done more than sprain my ankle. I was and am relieved that I have no more than some bruising and some joint pain.

The moral of this story, don't stand on the downhill side of a rolling log.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Leigh.........Glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse than you were....

Don't spit into the wind either!:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-26-2007, 9:20 PM
'Glad you're ok, Leigh! Ouch, indeed!

Jim O'Dell
10-26-2007, 9:30 PM
snip
The moral of this story, don't stand on the downhill side of a rolling log.

Or in the arc of a downward swinging one...especially with a chainsaw in hand....especially especially when standing on a ladder! (We need a emoticom that has a raised hand :rolleyes: )
Glad you're ok Leigh. Let hubby do the rest of the wood this year...you can tackle it again next year. Jim.

Leigh Costello
10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks for your well wishes guys. Now if I could just convince my teenager to stop complaining about the icky wood. :p

Jim, that is exactly what the doctor said.

Leigh Costello
11-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Update: Guess what trying to save myself from the log cost me? A sprained shoulder as well as a sprained ankle. After a week of slight shoulder pain and disrupted sleep I went back to the doctor. Apparantly when I tried to help hubby roll the log off of my leg, I separated my shoulder. Now it's physical therapy at home and ibuprofen. Nuts!!!!! Right at our busiest part of the year, too! Leigh 0, Log 1 rt ankle and 1 lft shoulder. stupid log:mad: lol

Al Willits
11-07-2007, 1:55 PM
I was gonna say, only a gal would roll a tree on her and notice the sunset.....but I can't find anything to hide under, so I'll just say, thank goodness it wasn't serious.:D

I rank chain saws rght up there as most dangours pieces of equiptment to run.
They can leave some pretty nasty gouges in ya.

Al

Leigh Costello
11-08-2007, 8:13 PM
Al,
You are forgiven for your thoughts :D and may your chainsaw experiences never involve chain vs. man or woman. :p