PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Intercom

Rick Gifford
10-25-2007, 11:34 PM
With my workshop seperate from the house I think Id like to look into an intercom between the two.

Does anyone use a wireless intercom and have a recommendation for a good one? I looked online some, and see quite a few options and price ranges. I just want something that will work solid and not be a piece of garbage in a couple months. My range would be about 50 - 75 feet through walls. Maybe have a mute button if my wife gets in a bad mood...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help,

Rick

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Rick....we bought a cordless phone set. It came with 3 cordless phones and chargers and it has an intercom function. I monitor the phone from the shop and the LOML or I can use the intercom feature to talk to the other one. It really wasn't that expensive. We bought ours at Costco.

Bruce Volden
10-26-2007, 6:40 AM
I had a set up like you have and went to Radio Shack. They have several models to choose from-I bought one for less than $40. Seemed to work out well and after 3 years just up and quit:mad: My present set up (shop-house) isn't quite completed yet but I will be back in the market for something like this also.

Bruce

David G Baker
10-26-2007, 7:56 AM
I haven't done it yet, but I have been planning on using a couple of used 23 channel CB radios with exterior antennas. Reason: I have the radios and antennas from my old CB days.

Joe Pelonio
10-26-2007, 8:34 AM
I haven't done it yet, but I have been planning on using a couple of used 23 channel CB radios with exterior antennas. Reason: I have the radios and antennas from my old CB days.
Ah, I'm not the only one with a bunch of old CBs laying around!

If you are running a wireless router for internet beware that a cordless intercom may interfere.

Gary Whitt
10-26-2007, 9:05 AM
With my workshop seperate from the house I think Id like to look into an intercom between the two.

Does anyone use a wireless intercom and have a recommendation for a good one?
Thanks for the help,

Rick
I bought a three unit set for my parents from Radio Shack... less than $100.

I bought a two unit set for my home for around $50.

They have 2-4 channels and work great!

Matt Meiser
10-26-2007, 9:42 AM
We have a Motorola 5.8GHz phone system that works about 100' out to my shop pretty well. The nice thing about it is that you can "call" another extension and then talk like you are on a regular phone instead of a walkie-talkie type situation like some of the older ones.

Mike Jones NM
10-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I use handheld FRS/GMRS radios. THis allows me to walk around, hop on the atv to the orchard etc and still have contact. Also allows the kiddo to always be in contact when she is around the place.

Rick Gifford
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I actually have those style phones in my house... with the built in intercom. I was concerned with the range and reception out to the building though.

I'll look around locally and see what the stores have. I appreciate the responses. If I come up with something outside what was discussed here I post and let ya'll know.

Just has to be wireless. I am done digging trenches to bury lines for the rest of this year thats for sure :rolleyes:

David G Baker
10-26-2007, 11:58 AM
We have a Motorola 5.8GHz phone system that works about 100' out to my shop pretty well. The nice thing about it is that you can "call" another extension and then talk like you are on a regular phone instead of a walkie-talkie type situation like some of the older ones.
Matt,
Have you ever heard of an outside antenna for the wireless phone systems? I know they have them for cell phones a friend has one in his truck and it really helps on trips to the Upper Peninsula.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I've heard of an active repeater system for cell phones--a coworker installed one and is very pleased. I haven't heard of one for the 5.8GHz systems, but wouldn't be suprised if one exists.

David G Baker
10-26-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks Matt.
Guess I will stick to the CB radio idea unless I find something better before I hook the system up. I would hard wire but I have only three wires feeding my outbuilding's 220 volt electrical system and can't have any potential contact with the house ground or I may end up with a ground loop.

David G Baker
10-26-2007, 2:16 PM
Ah, I'm not the only one with a bunch of old CBs laying around!

If you are running a wireless router for internet beware that a cordless intercom may interfere.
Joe,
At one time I had over 20 CBs lying around. I would buy them at garage sales for pennies on the dollar, repair the mic cord or replace the finals and sell them at my garage sales for nickles on the dollar.
At one time I had all the funnies, 100 watt amp, funny channels etc. I ended up needing a First Class Radio Telephone license at work and decided that I had better go legal or loose my ticket.
I enjoyed the CB thing for around 5 years in California until the kids took over on all the channels, upper and lower sideband as well as the illegal channels. I might hang an antenna one of these days to see how the traffic is in my area of Mid Michigan.

Jim Kountz
10-26-2007, 7:55 PM
I use an old radio shack wireless intercom I got about 12 years ago. (its about 50' from the house to the shop and another 16' to where the unit sits in the shop) Its still working so I havent seen the need to replace it yet and I have not experienced any interference with my wifi which I have running all through the house. If I were to do it today I would go with Kens suggestion of the cordless phones set with the intercom feature built in. These things are super cheap from Wally Mart and reception is fantastic.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2007, 8:41 PM
Only 2.4GHz systems should cause WiFi interference. And even then, I haven't noticed an issue with the 1 2.4GHz phone we have.

glenn bradley
10-26-2007, 8:50 PM
There are 'wired' units that use your house wiring to transmit intercom functions. This would solve any distance issues but, the sound quality is very "CB" so if either of you have hearing problems, understanding them can be a challenge. The Motorola 'walkie talkies' designed for hikers have a 2 to 5 mile range and may be worth a look.

As others have stated 2.4Ghz (like your microwave and older wirelss phones) can cause Wi-Fi problems on 802.11b and g radios. 5Ghz for 802.11a radios.

Jim Becker
10-26-2007, 9:24 PM
I just moved up to a Uniden DECT phone system from the 5.8ghz version that was getting poor reception and range around our home. While this is a single line system, it also sports a nice intercom feature. The system will take up to 6 handsets...I bought the 5-handset package. Model number is DECT 2080-5. I bought from their outlet store online... http://udn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1341/Uniden-DECT-6.0-Cordless-Phones.html

I'm really pleased with this system...best one I've had to-date.