PDA

View Full Version : Bought JTAS-10XL50 used this weekend with 50" fence: your opinion

Dave Cohen
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Just trying to figure out if I paid too much or got a good deal on this saw....

Its a 3HP JET cabinet saw w/ 50" fence, runs on 220V the previous owner told me it was used twice, but when I came to get it seemed to have had a bit more use but still a solid saw.

I really didn't know how to use a dial indicator before this weekend. So I read up on it, and tested the saw for arbor run out, and it seemed to have a variation of .004" during one revolution of the blade (I hope thats not too bad, because if it is, I'm in deep yogurt then ).

Anyway I paid $850 for the saw and it came with a slightly dipped, coated MDF extension table (maybe 3/32" dip over 3', I'm thinking of possibly rebuilding) and a decent bosch router with table insert where you can lower and raise the router from the top with a key...This insert is not an Xacta lift though (the saw was built in 2005 - I checked the s/n with JET).

I may want to sell off the anodized router insert, even thought its not an Xacta lift is it worth anything?

Was the saw a good deal, priced right, good deal, got ripped off?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Kent E. Matthew
10-25-2007, 11:14 PM
For 850 I would have bought it.

Tom Veatch
10-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Was the saw a good deal, priced right, good deal, got ripped off?

If you're satisfied with the saw, it was a good deal.

I will say this, you have the exact same saw that I have, except mine is a couple of years older, and there's no way I'd let mine leave my shop for $850, even without the router.

scott spencer
10-26-2007, 7:14 AM
Sounds like a nice deal, but a pic is worth a thousand words! (plus it catapults an "alleged" saw to an "actual" saw! :D )

Kyle Kraft
10-26-2007, 7:32 AM
Sounds like a great deal. Check the spindle runout on the arbor itself, as when you run you dial indicator around the blade, you may be seeing a warped condition.

Joe Spear
10-26-2007, 7:58 AM
If the saw is in good shape, it's a fine deal. Amazon was selling that set-up for around $1400 new a few years ago.

Dave Cohen
10-26-2007, 9:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Now I will check run-out on the arbor itself, I did use the blade about 2 1/2 inches out from center.

Still waiting to get the saw put together after I get the mobile base delivered, then I'll post some pics.

Joe Spear
10-26-2007, 3:16 PM
To test for arbor run-out, crank the blade all the way up, mount your dial indicator on a miter bar, check it against one tooth on the left side of the blade, rotate the blade until that same tooth has moved around to the opposite (right) side, and slide the dial indicator over far enough to check that tooth again. That way you are checking the same thing twice and don't have to worry about some small warping of the blade.

Just make sure that the miter bar you mount the dial indicator to doesn't have any slop in the slot, so that it maintains the same distance from the blade. There are several commercial versions of a tester available, but you can make your own with a little care and skill.

Mike Dauphinee
10-26-2007, 3:42 PM
Deal in my book.