PDA

View Full Version : Floor mortiser

Tom Godley
10-25-2007, 5:56 PM
Hi all

I have been looking at the different floor units (online)

Looks like the Grizzly and Jet units may be the same.

I just purchased a Powermatic TS - Do not have it all together yet - but looks to be well built. So I am looking at the Powermatic floor unit also.

Any ideas for others -- Thinking about the PM drill press also.

Thanks - This forum has been such a great help

Bill Wyko
10-25-2007, 6:24 PM
Did you buy the 50" fence contractor saw? If you did, PM me asap. You'll need to do a modification to it before you tilt it to 45 degrees or you will knock the arbor out of alignment. As far as I know, all the ones I've seen on display have this issue. It's an easy fix if you do it before assembly. Other than that, it's an awesome TS. I'll try to take pics tonight and post pics of my TS issue tomorrow.

Don C Peterson
10-25-2007, 6:25 PM
I know it's not exactly what you asked, but my preferred method of mortising is the old fasioned Neander chisel and mallet. After using a couple of bench mortisers I wasn't impressed. They are expensive little one-trick-ponies, and they honestly didn't save me much if any time. Plus when it comes time to sharpening a mortise bit vs. a good mortise chisel, I'll take the task of sharpening the chisel any day.

Of course, I'm just a hobbyist and if you are doing production work, I can imagine that the repeatability of a mortiser makes up for the drawbacks, plus some.

frank shic
10-25-2007, 6:27 PM
tom, have you considered getting a festool domino? it's a lot more versatile and it'll consume much less shop space.

John Thompson
10-25-2007, 6:39 PM
Over the course of two years, I examined and looked for a deal on a floor morticer. Not many used as once someone has one, there is no need to up-grade. And as Don stated, if you do just a few mortices, you are better off to do them by hand or get a bench morticer.

But.. if you have the real need for a floor model, I came to the conclussion after going over all of them that the PM floor is the best ride over-all with the exception of an industrial model. It was the used deal I looked for for two years until I stumbled across an Industrial that was new at a cheaper price than the Power-matic. I jumped on that one as a new Industrial at 40% of retail doesn't come along every day.

Good luck and weigh your real needs carefully...

Sarge..

Dick Tysen
10-25-2007, 7:41 PM
Tom
I have a powermatic floor morticer and I am very happy with it. I also have a bench top morticer(which I need to sell sometime) that I was happy with until I bought the floor morticer, what difference.If you purchase one you will need at least two people to help put it together.It is a beast.

Dick Tysen

Tom Godley
10-25-2007, 9:07 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I also have used a small bench model. That is why I was looking for something larger. I just do this for a hobby and have many of the normal bench size tools. (not a morticer)

The property that I bought has a large "studio" that the last owner - an artist - built. The section for my wood shop is over 1500sf - so I have the space for some nice tools. I may need to pour a new floor in one part of the building - so I was thinking I would get the tools in place to see how I like the layout.

I know that Jet and Powermatic are the same company - but the design is quite different. The Powermatic looks to be a better unit - but it is actually less $$ currently?

-- I purchased the PM 2000 - so I do not think it is the same saw.

With the delay of the Delta Drill Press - I was thinking of the PM??

I have only looked at the Festool products - I am fearfull of them! -- I do not know if I would be able to stop once I started!

Aaron Mills
10-26-2007, 4:51 PM
The PM719T is probably your best bet for a floor model mortiser. It's worthwhile if you do a lot of A&C furniture. Only thought from my experience is to skip on the mobility kit offered by Powermatic for this item.

Also, the General 75-075 is another good choice for a floor model mortiser. It has an adjustable head rather than table and runs about $400-$500 more once you throw in the cost of the cabinet stand. Still, it has the ability to accept larger chisels and comes with a set of chiseling bits to start.

Bill Reed
10-26-2007, 5:14 PM
I have a slightly older model Powermatic 719A hollow chisel mortiser without the tilting table. It is a really solid machine and a joy to use. I particularly like the way the table moves with easily with the handwheels, so you can set your stops and just quickly clamp your lumber and rapidly make the series of cuts necessary for a mortise. Once you are set up you can make a large number of identical mortises in short order with great precision. The long handle gives plenty of leverage for cuts in tough woods. If you get the diamond sharpening cones from Lee Valley or Rockler it is not at all difficult to keep your hollow chisels razor sharp. I find a quick spray of teflon lubricant on the chisel makes it cut much easier and keeps it from overheating.

Bill

Ray Knight
10-26-2007, 5:32 PM
I have a lowend mortiser, which is terrible, the clamp for the workpiece is terrible. At a woodworking class, used a good mortiser, with good clamp, xy stage, tilting head, well sharpened chisels, learned how to sharpen chisels. Planned to spend $700-800 for similar one, went to Woodcraft to check out their stock. They are discontinuing handling General International, to handle Steel City. They had the General Internation 75-050 on manager's clearance for about $375, tilt head, enoulgh power, good clamp, only lacking the xy stage, so little bit more effort in set up but otherwise all that the highend one at the school had. You have to have really good workpiece clamps, and sharpened chisels. Tickled to death with the new one, saved a bunch of money which will go to my new TX next year. check your local woodcraft, may be some GI bargains. Good luck Ray Knight