PDA

View Full Version : Introduction!

Danny Jennings
02-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi to all..I've been lurking around several forums for awhile and decided this was the one I would be most comfortable in. So I would like to join the discussions from time to time (probably ask more questions than make contributions).
I'm posting in this forum because hand tools and the skills to use them properly are what I'm interested in(at least for the next week) :) . I'm about 1 notch above "novice" as a woodworker and have the usual hobby shop electron burners. I do have a dedicated shop bldg.(less than 1 yr old) but still haven't "lectrified" it.
I've recently acquired several planes and hand saws but am still using a workmate for a bench. That's the next project..a good bench. However I am in the market for a face vise first. Looking at several on auction sites, I need opinions from knowledgable folks like yourselves regarding the pros/cons of three older vises...a Columbian, a Morgan, and a Wilton. Can anyone help a newbie here?

In the meantime, I'm glad to be here and hoping to improve my woodworking skills from the association. I know I have already learned some things from you while hiding "in the shadows" or " under the porch" or wherever woodworkers lurk.

Tyler Howell
02-08-2004, 7:30 PM
Welcome Danny,
Great Place to hang out. Even Noobies like you and me can inspire great Art creations. :cool: Why just this week I had a Cheese platter dedicated to me. What was John trying to say??:confused:
Every time I wade into the Creek I come back with more than soggy pants.:eek:

Enjoy and you will find some pretty sharp cookies here. I haven't been able to stump them yet;)

Tom Scott
02-08-2004, 9:17 PM
Howdy Danny!
Glad you've joined our merry little band.
I can't speak directly to your 3 vice choices as I have a Record, but hopefully someone can.

Tom

John Miliunas
02-08-2004, 9:38 PM
Hey Danny. Not a Neander myself, but I visit the "dark side" pretty regular. Great bunch of folks on both sides of the power grid! That said, I can't help you with your vise choice, either (though a number of years ago, I may have been able to suggest a couple vices... :rolleyes: ). I can, however, give you a BIG SMC welcome! Great place to hang. Come often, stay long and, as I always say, we LOVE pics! :cool:

Lloyd Robins
02-09-2004, 1:03 AM
Hi and Welcome! I also have a Record so I am unable to help, sorry.

Dave Anderson NH
02-09-2004, 6:48 AM
I can't tell you anything about the Morgan, but both the Columbian and the Wilton were well made vises. Wilton to this day still produces top quality vises for both metal and woodworking though they tend to be pricey. I think some of the catalog places like Woodcraft and Woodworker's Supply still carry Wilton so you might want to check out what the retail pricing is these days before making any bids. I would proceed carefully and make up the design for a bench before purchasing a vise. You do however want to have the vise and all hardware on hand before starting on your bench so that you can make alterations to your design to accomadate the hardware. It's a real pain to have to find a way to fit your hardware after you've committed your plans to wood.

I hope you'll become a frequent visitor to our little home.

Danny Jennings
02-11-2004, 4:15 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I know I'm going to enjoy myself here.
Not being a purist, I'm sure I'll be visiting "on both sides of the power grid" as John put it. Dave, as far as the bench design is concerned, my biggest problem is deciding what I want from the many designs available. Landis' workbench book gave me too many wonderful choices and then there is Bob Key's bench and so many others I've admired here and elsewhere :confused: . Well, I'm just going to have to decide to do one of them and if I find it to be lacking...then I'll have to build another..oh darn. :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Welcome SMC! Just turn out your pockets at the front door and you'll leave with a buncha tools out the back door! :) Festool-itis is rampant around here...be careful about drinking the water as you wade in....