PDA

View Full Version : Removing backing from mirror

Robert Rosensteel
10-25-2007, 2:31 PM
Would any one have tips on removing backing (silver) from a mirror,or knows of anything that can be used to do this? I have a customer that wants to use mirror placemats and have the middle open clear so you can see thur it.The 3x6 in. rectangle in the middle thats clear would display their product under the clear area. Thanks Robert

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2007, 2:43 PM
You can laser it off but then it's going to be frosted. I'd suggest another route, at least for an experiment. Krylon now makes a mirror paint that is supposed to turn glass into mirror. Just use glass, mask the square in the center and spray. I have not tried it to see how well it comes out, so if you do let us know.

http://krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=8&productid=1764&content=product_details

Bill Cunningham
10-25-2007, 9:50 PM
I've had more mirrors ruined by water than any other means.. The paint on the back of most mirrors, will dissolve when it gets wet.. Perhaps you can mask it and wash off the backing.. some of the 'transparent' silvering will remain, but it 'is' transparent' I haven't tried but maybe D.A. or Acetone will work faster..