PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Laser

Lisa Walter
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello! My name is Lisa Burger. I bought an Epilog Legend 36 EXT. It arrived about 6 weeks ago. I have been spending my time practicing while I wait for the electric company to come and hook up the electric (what a joke) to a building I put on my property to house the laser and run my business out of. While I am waiting on them, I signed up for a few local craft shows coming up to help get my name out there. I am located in Northeastern PA. I chose the Epliog because of the great feedback I had read about them, and because they are close by (within three hours of me). When the laser salesman was here training me, he said my laser burned hotter than a 30 watt. He said more like a 35 watt. I assume this is normal? I just have to remember to keep that in mind when choosing settings for certain materials.

I have already been having some problems (no surprise right? haha!). Most materials have been going great for me, but the past week I have been having trouble with burning images on black marble. I have read many many postings on here to help me out and tried a few ideas (and perfectly written steps) that did not work for me. They made things better than what they were, but my images still aren't the best. For instance, a good male friend of mine is turning 40 this Saturday. I wanted to make him a personalized gift that he would love. His wife gave me a picture of him sitting on his grandfather's favorite tractor that he restored himself (he belongs to an antique tractor club). I bought the Photograv software that cost me an arm and a leg. The software arrived with a letter that there are some new parameters that are included on the cd but not loaded in the software and I can load them myself. So I loaded the parameters but they don't show up under the choice of product menu. If I look at the details of the product I am getting ready to burn it shows up under there. I have to be honest. For over $400 for this software I expected a lot better out of it. It looks very basic. I am just learning it so I can't make a judgement yet on if it works very basic. So anyway, I adjusted my tractor image BEFORE I loaded it into Photograv like everyone suggested (I made sure to make it the correct size, made it a negative, made it an 8 bit greyscale bmp file). I uploaded the image into Photograv, loaded the parameters for black marble (which I have to do EVERY time I want to burn marble since the parameters don't stay in the program once I load them), click auto process, clicked reprocess and checked the "simulation on" area and made sure mirror was off, saved the simulation, uploaded it into corel x3 (did not change the size of the image, I just hit enter to center the image), and burned it onto a piece of marble. Now, the first time it burned it was HORRIBLE. But I was able to figure out one of the mistakes (it was mine) was because I scanned the image in at 300 dpi but when I sent it to the laser to burn, I sent it at 600 dpi (it must default to 600 because I didn't even think to check that part). I changed it to 300 dpi and the burn was much better (you could see the image this time) but it was very grainy looking and you couldn't even see any details on my friend's face. I got the black marble from laserbits. My husband ran to Home Depot and Lowe's last night. Home Depot does not have it but they had a piece of black granite my husband brought home that I have yet to try. Lowe's said one week until they could get it and I was hoping to have this done by Saturday night for the 40th birthday party. Any suggestions? I guess after reading all of the posts raving about Photograv I thought this was an awesome program. I am surprised that I have to upload things into Photograv, make adjustments, save them, and then upload it into something else, but don't dare change the size of it because that will throw everything for a loop.....I thought for over $400 you wouldn't have to do this. On the good side, it did come with a coupon good for the free upgrade when it comes out. The coupon is good for one year, so hopefully there is an upgrade before then ;)

Also I have another problem. I want to burn some lettering on the back of a glass pie plate. To do this, I need to flip the text around (make it backwards). I am trying like mad to do this in corel x3 and I am ready to pull my hair out. I bought a wireless mouse since the keyboard mouse is driving me absolutely insane when trying to do this. Well guess what? The keyboard mouse is not compatible with Vista (which I have). I tried to use "mirror horizontally" it doesn't do anything. When choosing "mirror vertically" it flips it upside down. Am I using the wrong buttons? I uploaded the text into Corel Photo Paint and in there, you use the buttons called object and then flip. This works perfect. I tried to copy and paste the text back into the Corel Draw and it makes the text all jagged (I knew this would happen from my experience years ago working for a local newspaper doing page design). I looked for something called flip in Corel x3 and it takes me to "mirroring". So I made this good internet buddy named Al (he comes here too). He gave me step by step directions on how to use my keyboard mouse to click on the text with the pick tool, left click, hold on the control key and drag to the right (or something like that). I spent an hour last night trying to do it and all it kept doing was flipping the text upside down. Today he mentioned maybe I should just select mirror under my print options but I read several places on this sight that said I shouldn't do that.......oh gosh I am just really frustrated today. I know it's something easy that I just can't figure out and once I learn it will never forget it :) haha!

I looked at alot of the pictures of things you all uploaded to share and everything is sooo awesome!! It gives me hope to keep plugging away and trying different things until I find the sweet spots for the materials with my laser. Just last night I saw a picture of an old building (school?)that a woman on here uploaded and it took my breath away. She mentioned she has been "only" doing this two years.....her work is amazing :) Something for me to look forward to. I can't think of her name. She is from Texas, so you probably know who I am talking about :)

Sorry this is so long. I have been lurking here for a long time and finally applied for membership a few days ago and got my "ok" today so I had a lot built up to talk about.

Oh yeah one last question.....I see the moderator has developed a "trick" to bring out the white in the black marble by puting armor all on the black marble. Can someone tell me......do I spray it on and wipe it in? Or do I leave it wet and then run it through the laser? Thanks!! :)

Lisa

James Stokes
10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Lisa Welcome to the fun house. Learning the laser is not quite as easy as they try to make you think, But it is not to bad. With the photo on the marble do not make the image a negative to engrave. Engrave with the black marble parameter, That will reverse the photo as needed. If you crop the background then you will need to place the photo on a black background.

Frank Corker
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Lisa. I've sent you a PM about your friend on the tractor.

As regards the armour if my memory serves me correct it was just sprayed on and wiped off, but never having used it (I'm on the correct side of the pond) we don't have it readily available here.

The problems that you are having with text can be a real pain, but it just takes practice. In circular format remember, you could always have to circles one on top of the other and have two sets of text.

There is a really useful bit of the Epilog site which helps with techincal issues http://www.epiloglaser.com/tech_library.htm and with your problem in particular there is an article http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_textonapath.htm

AL Ursich
10-25-2007, 1:08 PM
Good Luck Lisa

This is the place to ask. As I mentioned I still have my Photograv still in the box from a ARA purchase 4 years ago. Too many toys not enough time to play with them all.

AL

Mike Null
10-25-2007, 1:18 PM
Lisa

Welcome to SMC. Tip no. 1, keep plenty of stuff around to practice with. Stuff you don't mind ruining. Tip no. 2, set aside a little study time everyday for Corel. There are lots of tutorial sites you can Google. CorelDraw is a powerful program that can do about everything you need but it takes time to find everything.

Good luck

Lisa Walter
10-25-2007, 1:23 PM
Hi Lisa Welcome to the fun house. Learning the laser is not quite as easy as they try to make you think, But it is not to bad. With the photo on the marble do not make the image a negative to engrave. Engrave with the black marble parameter, That will reverse the photo as needed. If you crop the background then you will need to place the photo on a black background.

Hi James!

I didn't realize that I shouldn't make it a negative......all the posts said to make it a negative. I will try this! :) I'll try anything at this point :)

Lisa

Lisa Walter
10-25-2007, 1:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Lisa. I've sent you a PM about your friend on the tractor.

As regards the armour if my memory serves me correct it was just sprayed on and wiped off, but never having used it (I'm on the correct side of the pond) we don't have it readily available here.

The problems that you are having with text can be a real pain, but it just takes practice. In circular format remember, you could always have to circles one on top of the other and have two sets of text.

There is a really useful bit of the Epilog site which helps with techincal issues http://www.epiloglaser.com/tech_library.htm and with your problem in particular there is an article http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_textonapath.htm

Hi Frank! Thank you for the tips. I am going to go to those sites right now to read what it has to say.

You know, I have to tell you, I was really excited because I have experience with computers (3 years of computer programming and I have owned my own computer since 1993), I spent time working for newspapers doing ad work and page layout so I felt comfortable with the design part (not blind to it) and I have spent the last 16 years in manufacturing (very mechanical job for a girl so I understand how this laser is put together and with what parts), I spent months reading about lasers before I took the plunge.....so I felt somewhat prepared for what might come my way. I feel SO SORRY for someone who has bought a laser and didn't/doesn't have the computer experience. I thought I was going to be ready for some of this stuff and it just isn't so :) I am learning things by the hour!!!

Lisa

Lisa Walter
10-25-2007, 1:29 PM
Good Luck Lisa

This is the place to ask. As I mentioned I still have my Photograv still in the box from a ARA purchase 4 years ago. Too many toys not enough time to play with them all.

AL

Hi Al my new good friend!

Thanks for pointing me to this site :)

Lisa Walter
10-25-2007, 1:33 PM
Lisa

Welcome to SMC. Tip no. 1, keep plenty of stuff around to practice with. Stuff you don't mind ruining. Tip no. 2, set aside a little study time everyday for Corel. There are lots of tutorial sites you can Google. CorelDraw is a powerful program that can do about everything you need but it takes time to find everything.

Good luck

Hi Mike!

Thank you for the tips. I am learning things all of the time with this Corel. It's amazing and has things I will probably never use. We also have the newest Adobe Phtoshop that I play with some times. My 14 year old daughter is becoming a whiz at it. She can do some amazing things (I guess you know I will be going to her for help haha!) It's amazing how kids pick up on this stuff that we didn't have when we were teens (well, I am speaking for me!)

I thought I was going to be sitting here bored all day until I got some customers. I have spent so much time reading tips and guides on the internet I am not getting other things done :) I am running out of time in my day. I started printing out things to put in a binder for later use and I ran out of ink. :)

Lisa

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2007, 2:55 PM
Lisa, I didn't see an answer on your text issue yet, but I've spent a lot of time with that same problem before someone on here corrected my error in using the wrong tool.

If you drag and drop a text box, it's called paragraph text. If you just click once and then type the text, it's just simple text. Simple text (with just one click and NOT a dragged and dropped box) will mirror and do all you want. However, paragraph text does strange things when you try and mirror it.

Can you check to make sure you are just clicking once to type the text and not drawing a box to "put the text in".

Let me know if that solves the problem (it solved mine).

And welcome to the forum!

Keith Outten
10-25-2007, 7:11 PM
Lisa,

Concerning the Armor All you can spray it on the tile and then wipe off the excess. Give it a few minutes to dry a bit before you engrave. You should notice a near white engraving every time.

Micheal Donnellan
10-25-2007, 9:21 PM
Lisa,

Concerning the Armor All you can spray it on the tile and then wipe off the excess. Give it a few minutes to dry a bit before you engrave. You should notice a near white engraving every time.

Could you please explain to me what is this armour stuff, a paint?

Jim Good
10-25-2007, 9:34 PM
It can be found in the automotive section of Walmart or other store and it is used to clean the vinyl in your car like the dashboard. It makes it nice and shiny or a nice matte finish, depending on which bottle you buy!

Bill Cunningham
10-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Lisa.. If you load a parameter into photograv, it 'does' remember it. The new parameters will not show up in the list. Photograv, although it works well, is a very antiquated piece of software and nowhere near the interface standards of today.. When you load one of the other paramters from the disk, run a job, then shut down the program.. Then restart the program load in a job, and click the info button. You will see it still has the 'last used'. parameters set.. At least mine does..
Welcome to the forum.. And good luck with the corel learning curve. I've been using Corel since Ver 2. and I still learn something new almost every week..

Keith Outten
10-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Micheal,

You can also find "Armour All" Protectant at just about every auto parts store nation wide. It comes in 8, 16 and 32 ounce plastic bottles with a spray pump head and is basically a UV protective film you spray on surface to protect them from the sun.

You can spray it on black marble then wipe off the excess. The Armour All will be absorbed into the pores of the stone. When you laser engrave the tile there is a reaction to the laser beam which leaves a very bright white mark.

Richard Rumancik
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Also I have another problem. I want to burn some lettering on the back of a glass pie plate. To do this, I need to flip the text around (make it backwards).

I tried to use "mirror horizontally" it doesn't do anything. When choosing "mirror vertically" it flips it upside down. Am I using the wrong buttons?

I played around a bit and I think Scott is right. You must have drawn paragraph text because it behaves somewhat like you say. It does not mirror paragraph text properly. You can re-enter as Scott suggests, but you can also switch text back and forth (select the text, Click on TEXT drop down, and click on "convert to artistic text" or "Convert to paragraph text" as appropriate.

Lisa Walter
10-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Lisa, I didn't see an answer on your text issue yet, but I've spent a lot of time with that same problem before someone on here corrected my error in using the wrong tool.

If you drag and drop a text box, it's called paragraph text. If you just click once and then type the text, it's just simple text. Simple text (with just one click and NOT a dragged and dropped box) will mirror and do all you want. However, paragraph text does strange things when you try and mirror it.

Can you check to make sure you are just clicking once to type the text and not drawing a box to "put the text in".

HELLO!!! As a matter of fact, I AM creating a box for my text instead of clicking once!! I will try your suggestion right now to see how it goes for me!

Thank you!!

Lisa

Lisa Walter
10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I played around a bit and I think Scott is right. You must have drawn paragraph text because it behaves somewhat like you say. It does not mirror paragraph text properly. You can re-enter as Scott suggests, but you can also switch text back and forth (select the text, Click on TEXT drop down, and click on "convert to artistic text" or "Convert to paragraph text" as appropriate.

Yes Scott was right, I was creating a box for the text instead of clicking once and I am headed to my file right now to try just clicking once!! :) :)

Lisa

Lisa Walter
10-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Scott,

You are awesome!! I just tried it and it worked perfectly!! And nowhere in the help section did it mention this problem!!! I knew it was something simple that I had to be overlooking. Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Lisa

Lisa Walter
10-26-2007, 12:49 PM

I just tried Scott's suggestion and it worked perfectly!! I knew it had to be something easy I was overlooking!! I feel so much better now! HAHA!

Lisa

Scott Shepherd
10-26-2007, 2:18 PM
Don't thank me, thank this forum. I had the same problem and came to this forum and asked and quickly got an answer that helped me. So I'm just passing on the info that some others helped me with. If I had to figure it out on my own, I'd be turning down work that was reversed because I still couldn't have figured it out :)

:) gniresal yppaH

Larry Bratton
10-26-2007, 6:54 PM
Lisa:
First, welcome to the forum!
I have the identical machine that you have except mine is a 40watt.
I also own and use Photograv. I never raster engrave anything above 300dpi. It is important to create the graphic you intend to raster engrave to the exact size that you want it to be. I don't do anything fancy but I get excellant results on marble and granite.
I usually take my graphic into Photoshop. If it's a printed photo, I scan it at 300 dpi. If it's color, I usually scan it as such. Then I color correct it and do the things like changing the contrast etc just like I was going to print in on a printer. (you are essentially doing that with the Epilog driver)
Once finished, I change the mode to 8 bit greyscale and save as a BMP file.
Then import into Photograv. I LOAD a parameter for marble etc. Then I simply allow Photograv to auto-process it. Save the "engraved image".
Then I import it into Corel Draw X3. I have my page set to 24x36 (table size).Lay out guidelines for the size of your piece and locate your graphic where you want it to be. It's OK to move the image around BUT DO NOT RESIZE IT.
For marble I raster at 20s/100p at 300dpi. (Be sure your dpi here matches the image dpi). For black granite use 100s/40pwr, again at 300dpi. (Note that granite is sort of the reverse of marble). The trick with Armorall does work.
Also, watch the cleanliness of your lense with stone and glass. Dust gets on it from the engraving and a foggy lense gives very poor performance.
Be glad to help you anytime. PM or e-mail.
Good luck, hope this helps you a bit.