PDA

View Full Version : How to build?

Jim Fox
10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
My question on this project is how to attach the vertical posts to the horizontal feet? I drew in the those angle blocks. My only thought is maybe doing a sliding dovetail where the angled blocks join the vertical post. Then just using screws from the underside of the horizontals up to the angle blocks.

I've gotten the top portion done, just need to work on the feet, and now I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Any thoughts?

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/work/bulletinboard.jpg

Mike Vermeil
10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Mortise the vertical posts into the horizontal feet & use double biscuits for the angled braces.

Donnie Folangelo
10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I would use a sliding dovetail...either a through cut or a half blind from the inside.

Greg Peterson
10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Mortise the vertical posts into the horizontal footings.

For angle brackets, I would make a set of angle supports the same thickness of the vertical runners, and rather than a hard 45 degree angle I would incorporate a gentle curving slope. Glue them or sliding dovetail to the vertical post and screw them from the underside of the horizontal footing.

My .02 worth.

Danny Thompson
10-25-2007, 1:03 PM
What about a through-mortise, double-pinned from the inside with dowels or with a wedge from the bottom. With square shoulders and a tight fit, would the angle be necessary?

Grant Morris
10-25-2007, 1:21 PM
I think you will need the angle brackets regardless of how you join the verticals with the feet...

Don C Peterson
10-25-2007, 1:41 PM
I think you will need the angle brackets regardless of how you join the verticals with the feet...

I think that depends on the actual size of the stock in use. The stock looks a bit small to be supporting the whole without the braces, but it also depends on the expected useage.

I built our kitchen table with legs very similar in design. The vertical pieces in my case were 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 Oak. I simply joined to the horizontal pieces by through wedged M/T (no braces) and the results have been great. No wabble and no problems more than 3 years and lots of abuse later.

Charles Wiggins
10-25-2007, 3:36 PM
I'd blind-mortise the feet to receive the vertical posts. You could do a sliding dovetail in the post to receive the angle supports, but then you'd be reducing your glue surface on the end of your post where it meets the mortise wall. I'd probably just do dadoes in both the post and feet for the angle brackets. That would lock them into the design and give you lots of glue surface, but you wouldn't have to reduce your glue surface where your post goes into the mortise.

http://library.blueridge.edu/legs.jpg