PDA

View Full Version : Another minor SawStop issue

Kevin Groenke
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
We've recently discovered another minor material/engineering issue with the SawStop cabinet saw.

The "front dust shroud" (p81, #20, pt#CB104 092) is a plastic part that deflects chips away from the elevation and trunnion assembly and directs it into the dust collection shroud.

After 3 years of use, one of our saws has a hole completely eroded through this part, the second saw is close behind. Long chips get trapped on the hole and large clots of chips form potentially blocking the dust/chip path.

Has anybody else seen this problem? Did you just replace?

I just sent SawStop an email and suspect replacement shrouds will be en route by tomorrow. I'll report when I hear from them.

Regards,
-kg

response from SawStop ~5 minutes after sending email:

Kevin,

Your observation of the front dust shroud is not unheard of. Our engineers are exploring different materials and designs for that piece. It is replaceable, held in place by 2 bolts.
Most of the dust that escapes the dust collection is shooting over the top of that shroud, the gap between the bottom of the table and the top of that shroud. We are looking for a good way to close it.
It has been reported to me by several customers that raising the blade slightly will cause more dust and material to be directed down rather than forward.

I typically replace these dust shrouds under warranty. I will send these with the replacement cartridge when I receive your “finger save” goods.

If you think about it drop a note in with the cartridge that will remind me to do so.