PDA

View Full Version : Frame for a large marble plaque

Gregg Vaughn
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a job for a memorial type plaque for a highschool student who died in an accident. I have the material for the plaque (18" x 24" x 5/16" black marble), but I'm unsure about a frame for it. The plaque will be in an indoor pool area and subject to humidity, etc. I've considered no frame, but the frame provides a good mechanism to fasten the plaque securely to a wall (again, a high shool environment).

I found some PVC construction brick molding (would cut that with a saw) that, with a plywood backing may work, but I'm not sure I like the look.

Any ideas?

Lee DeRaud
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe one of those modular aluminum frames? They come in anodized black, which would be pretty much invisible next to the marble, plus they can be adapted to fit nonstandard sizes easily.

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Maybe one of those modular aluminum frames? They come in anodized black, which would be pretty much invisible next to the marble, plus they can be adapted to fit nonstandard sizes easily.
I Like Lee's idea, I used those for signs sometimes.

Gregg Vaughn
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, can you point me toward one?

Sandra Force
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I would go a complete different direction and make the frame from a contrasting color of solid surface ie Corian, Hudson, Avonite. Maybe one of the metalics or the red jasper look. If you cut keyhole hangers in the frame it would hang nicely and be sturdy enough to carry the weight of that size marble. Check with one of the local cabinet shops for availlable pieces that are left over from past projects. The nice part about this material is that you can do a number of looks with it and laminate together two or more colors. It also can be routed to the look that you want.

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Finished aliminum channel, mitered, with steel corners that hold the 4 pieces together with set screws on the back.

http://www.framing4yourself.com/metal%20mouldings.htm

Mike Null
10-25-2007, 1:09 PM
Given the weight you're working with I would not use a frame and would anchor it to the wall by means of studs and epoxy. (there is an epoxy for that purpose.)

Joe Pelonio
10-25-2007, 1:24 PM
I've done stud mount too, but be sure that you use a drill press carefully setting the depth so you don't drill too deep into the marble. What would you do for the edges, Mike, if they are not polished? Black paint?

Angus Hines
10-25-2007, 7:01 PM
Since this will be a permant mounting on I'm guessing block wall, see if you can find a mason to actually inlay it, if the school will allow that. and if not would lots of strips of VHB tape not work (again frameless)?

Gregg Vaughn
10-26-2007, 8:23 AM
All very interesting and creative ideas ... I'll look into each, consider $$ and see what emerges.

Thanks!

Debra Thayer
10-26-2007, 9:10 AM
I did the same size marble and had it framed at a frame shop here. It's aluminum with a brushed silver finish. It really looks nice, brings out the lighter areas. It is hung up with a wire that was attached to the back of the frame.

Debbie

Dennis Solomon
10-26-2007, 3:27 PM
simply use a diamond drill and secure the marble to the wall with some nice concrete anchors. I drill marble and granite for pictures and clocks all of the time.

Mike Null
10-26-2007, 8:41 PM
Joe

I think I would go with the rough edges, if they are rough, as I don't find them objectionable.