PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Porch Swing

Keel McDonald
10-25-2007, 7:10 AM
This is the first project I've completed in a while. The plans (http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives/jan_feb_01/html/weekend_project.htm) came from the internet, FREE. It's made of cypress. It measures 52". All hardware is stainless steel, except chain. I also used green epoxy coated deck screws to attach slats to the swing. I'm curious to see how well they hold up. I used coated, exterior chain. It's hanging on an oversized A-frame swingset I built for my kids a few weeks back. The little man loves it (blue swing). They are still a little young to fully enjoy it, so I built this porch swing for LOML. After hanging the swing last night, I discovered something I feared from the beginning. The eyebolts concern me. I think I may add an additional "beam" under the swing to hang it from. I think I'd feel much better if the eyebolts were vertical, as opposed to horizontal. What do you think? Comments and critiques welcome.

David Duke
10-25-2007, 7:59 AM
I really like the style of that swing, it looks like it would "fit" real nice. I agree with you and your concerns about the eye bolts, and your idea of putting another rail below, install new eye bolts vertically ,then you could route the chains through the eye bolts already in place.

Just notice I didn't compliment you on your work, it really looks good.

Mike Vermeil
10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Keel - I build a swing about 10 years ago of almost identical design. I didn't add a cross beam & it's been no problem. However, the front-most eye bolts are mounted lower, going through the arm rest supports and into the seat frames. The chains pass through holes in the arm rests on their way up. We no longer have the swing as it stayed with our old house, but I still see it hanging on the front porch every time I drive by.

Jim W. White
10-25-2007, 1:01 PM
Keel,

Great looking swing!! ...your acknowledement that the eye bolts loose some strength when loaded perpendicular to the shaft is correct; however, it looks to me that they should still be plently stout to withstand the load you would put on the swing. From the looks of your picture it looks like 1/2" hardware. I personally would leave it as it is.

Very nice job!

Jim in Idaho

Keel McDonald
10-25-2007, 2:10 PM
Keel,

Great looking swing!! ...your acknowledement that the eye bolts loose some strength when loaded perpendicular to the shaft is correct; however, it looks to me that they should still be plently stout to withstand the load you would put on the swing. From the looks of your picture it looks like 1/2" hardware. I personally would leave it as it is.

Very nice job!

Jim in Idaho

It is 3/8" hardware. And I should be clear. I'm not worried about the hardware failing or bending, I'm worried about it breaking or splitting the wood. I would probably leave it, but when LOML sits on it (barely 105 lbs) you can see it give slightly under just her weight. I can't justify taking the chance, especially with 2 young children. Thanks for the comments.

Brian Lindenlaub
10-25-2007, 3:21 PM
Beautiful swing! It looks comfortable too.

From an engineering standpoint, the eyebolt would be much stronger in a vertical orientation (tension load) rather than horizontal (bending load).

Brian