PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Fliptop Stands & Small Workshop

Stan Smith
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I've had a couple of these stands for quite some time. The height is adjustable and they can be used for support stands and infeed/outfeed tables. They're really handy and fold up like some sawhorses.

I'm building a murphy bed in my small 1-car garage shop and two of these stands are a real help when you don't have a big assembly table. They are worth every penny. Go check em out at HD. No, I don't work there or own their stock either. Just a good quality tool at a reasonable price. FWIW

Stan

Dan Forman
10-25-2007, 3:09 AM
+ 1 on those fliptops! I just wish my floor was even, they would work even better.

Dan

Don Bullock
10-25-2007, 9:18 AM
Do you have the actual item name or number. I did a search of Rigid fliptop stand and came up with nothing.:confused:

Gary McKown
10-25-2007, 9:31 AM
Don - Ridgid # AC9933.

David Tiell
10-25-2007, 9:34 AM
I've got one and love it! Will have to get more. But I was surprised this weekend when the locking handle broke off in my hand. It can still be used, but it will probably go back to HD for replacement. I believe they have a lifetime warranty on their tools. We'll see how that works.

Dan Clark
10-25-2007, 9:40 AM
I have a couple of them. They work great as infeed/outfeed tables for my planer. And equally well as extensions supporting long pieces of wood hanging off my MFT. Well worth the money!

The only issue is finding them. HD has them but you may find the sales people don't have a clue about them. They weren't in the tool section in my local HD. They were in another aisle by the storage boxes. You'll need to look around.

Regards,

Dan.

John Thompson
10-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I have 4 of them my company purchased for me 5 years ago when they ask me to build a 100' custom counter for their showroom. Couldn't have done it alone without them.. as working with long stock can be very tricky (and potentially dangerous) without some kind of support.

I rip.. joint and plane quite a bit of rough stock 8'-14' feet. The Rigid stands allow me to open the outer door behind my TS and place stands on the out-bound side in the drive-way. I have my work-bench and assembly talbe aligned in front of the saw (made them same height as the TS top) which is the in-bound side's support.

Two on each side of the 8" jointer and 20" planer allows the same long stock to be handled single-handed also. And I have used them in various situations with the BS and DP. I see them as a gift from above, as the friction tops are not as squirrelly in comaparison to the roller or ball bearing styles. I gave roller stands away several years ago as I find the Rigid flip-tops a better choice for my needs.

Easy to adjust the height and long stock has less chance of slipping to the side (espcecially the TS) causing a potentially dangerous situation. I personally like the friction tops as I parallel others to attempting to sit on a ball-bearing on top of a flag-pole! :eek:

Sarge..

Justin McCurdy
10-25-2007, 2:49 PM
I also have 4 of them and they are worth every penny. I have to cut 8x4 panels on my ts with them as I have no room for full size infeed and outfeed tables.

Andy Pratt
10-25-2007, 2:53 PM
I've had two for six months. I use them all the time and they're a major asset to the small shop I've been working in. About four months in I really reamed on one of the handles, tightening it down, and it snapped off like another user already mentioned. Since then I'm a little more reasonable with the force I put on them and I've never had a problem. HD replaced the broken one with absolutely no-hassle, walked in and out in less than five minutes.

richard poitras
10-25-2007, 2:59 PM
Put two in the plus column for me also. I have had two of them for quite some time now and do think they are worth the money and are very handy for lots of applications..

Brian Lindenlaub
10-25-2007, 3:05 PM
Another fan of the Ridgid stand here. It works better for me than the roller or ball bearing stands.

Paul Johnstone
10-25-2007, 4:02 PM
I'm a big fan of them too. My only complaint is that I wish they made the max height about 6-8" higher. Then they'd be more useful for the drill press. They were also too short for a bandsaw on a mobile base.

Stan Smith
10-25-2007, 4:24 PM
I'm a big fan of them too. My only complaint is that I wish they made the max height about 6-8" higher. Then they'd be more useful for the drill press. They were also too short for a bandsaw on a mobile base.

I use mine with my Delta drill press with no problem. No problem with my minimax bandsaw either.

Stan

Don Bullock
10-25-2007, 7:46 PM
Don - Ridgid # AC9933.

Gary, thanks, but a search of their site comes up with nothing.:confused: Does anyone know the actual sku# or "official" name? Thanks.

Ken Deckelman
10-25-2007, 8:49 PM
Gary, thanks, but a search of their site comes up with nothing.:confused: Does anyone know the actual sku# or "official" name? Thanks.

Just type "ac9933" into Google or any other search engine, you will get lots of hits. Or you can go to Home Depot tomorrow:D

Don Bullock
10-25-2007, 9:39 PM
Just type "ac9933" into Google or any other search engine, you will get lots of hits. Or you can go to Home Depot tomorrow:D

Thanks. That's what I thought you were talking about, but I couldn't find them on the HD site.:D

Stan Smith
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Don. It could be that HD doesn't sell them online. I've found that to be the case with other things and also other vendors. Another thing I've found that not all chain stores carry the same items in all their stores.

Stan

Paul Johnstone
10-26-2007, 1:14 PM
I use mine with my Delta drill press with no problem. No problem with my minimax bandsaw either.

Stan

Both my drill press and bandsaw are on mobile bases.. Thus the flip tops are just a tad too short. It's a PITA to prop them up with scrap wood (and not very stable).

The HTC drill press roller extensions that attach to the drill press column is a better solution for the drill press, IMO. And they are relatively inexpensive. I believe woodcraft has them on sale for around $20 this month (or maybe I was looking at another vendor's ad).

Stan Smith
10-26-2007, 4:39 PM
Both my BS and DP are on mobile bases, too. The BS has wheels on one end and came with a metal fulcurm pole w/ wheels. I made a similar mobile base from a ShopNotes plan for the dp. I will say that the minimax bs is a lot lower to the floor than my prev. delta cabinet bs. Sorry that the stands don't work for you. I wouldn't want to have to prop them up with wood either.

Stan

Stan Smith
10-26-2007, 7:53 PM
Sure glad that I thought to make this post because I got to thinking that I really need a 3rd fliptop so bought it today.

Jim Hill
10-26-2007, 8:05 PM
Thanks Stan!

I picked up my son from college today and picked up another one of these flip tops as well. We don't have a HD here at home, so I got a 2fer today-my son and a 2nd flip top. Two of these stands will make my work so much safer.

JIm

Stan Smith
10-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Good for you. It's always great to see our kids after they're out on their own. Family is everything!