PDA

View Full Version : ts extension table to the right or left?

Glenn Hageman
10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
My cabinet saw has a right tilt blade. I am right handed. I find I am cutting a lot more bevels lately. Should my 48" extension table extend to the right or to the left of the blade? (pluses/minuses)

Jim O'Dell
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
My thoughts are that for safety it would go on the left (not binding the wood against the fence on a bevel cut). But that seems really strange, because none of the manufacturers show their right tilt saws set up that way. But table saws with sliders are usually right tilt, right? So the table , per se, is on the left. But I have NO background to prove this, it's just my observations of what is out there. Jim.

glenn bradley
10-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll go with some assumptions since you don't mention the model of saw or fence; the fence rails extend farther to the right of the blade than they do to the left. This is the design of most saws, at least in America.

This is one of the things that fuels the left tilt / right tilt debates. We left-tilters like the fact that when the bevel cut is complete, our 'keeper' is held firmly against the fence and our 'spoil' falls away from the blade aided by gravity. Those evil wrong-tilters end up completing the cut with a piece trapped between the blade and the fence. As if having your hands on this captured piece wasn't bad enough; their spoil is setting on top of the spinning blade with gravity just urging it to launch toward the operator. :eek:

You must embrace the fact that you are a wrong-tilter and work with the associated risks. :p

Now, all kidding aside :D :D :D , that is the design of a right tilt saw. Many folks prefer this setup and have run them for years without incident. Heck, I've carried a pocket knife and managed to not cut my thumb off. It's all in proper operation of the tool.

I know some folks that extend their rails to the left of the blade so that they can move their fence over there but this seems like a bit of an oddity. As to the extension, I have extensions to the right and left so I am no help.

Jeff Bond
10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm right handed and have always had the extension table to the right. Every saw I have seen has had an extension table to the right. I have an Altendorf Slider C-45.... extension table to the right.... Sawstop table to the right. I just bought the Sawstop, before that I had a right tilt unisaw, and I didn't like making bevel cuts on it. Sometimes I would put the fence to the left side of the blade and do them that way, but that only works on narrow pieces. Left tilt saws are really nice for doing miters on casework material..... Anyway, I think you will be most comfortable with your fence system and extension table to the right of the blade. Good cutting...:)

Glenn Hageman
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
I

Now, all kidding aside :D :D :D , that is the design of a right tilt saw. Many folks prefer this setup and have run them for years without incident. Heck, I've carried a pocket knife and managed to not cut my thumb off. It's all in proper operation of the tool.

I know some folks that extend their rails to the left of the blade so that they can move their fence over there but this seems like a bit of an oddity. As to the extension, I have extensions to the right and left so I am no help.

Sorry... My saw is an INCA 10" and the rail can be moved to either side

Dave MacArthur
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I'd put it to the left.
Right side extension table has no inherent validity except as an embedded paradigm (given that you can have a left or right tile blade). The safety factors for having the blade tilt AWAY frim the keeper piece and fence are fairly well established (IMHO). There are some day to day trade offs though, most important being that your tape generally won't be registered off a "hard" blade surface; by which I mean an unchanging one. If you stack a dado up, the tape on a saw that tilts away from the extension no longer shows the true cut, so you have to measure it by hand--this can be a real pain. HOWEVER, adding on one of those digital gauges that can be zeroed out would solve that.

I had a right tilt contractor saw with a right 52" extension. NEVER had any problem, and I loved the fence always being accurate to the installed blade. But I did sit and stare at angled cuts a lot, and unfortunately didn't know the right technique to handle them (hold downs, bolt on fence etc.), so made some risky uneventful cuts.

Now I have a PM66, left tilt, right extension. Truthfully I have only made a couple "test" cuts with the blade angled so far... but when buying, getting a left tilt was mandatory for me. If I had a right tilt and could put the fence on the left, I'd do it-- and I'd hold my head high for being able to see the Emperor had no Clothes, and being brave enough to say so ;)
In a recent survey of woodworkers, it was found that given the choice, most folks would rather change their political party, their religion, or both, rather than which way their saw tilts!

Always love this topic, it's sure to inspire either humor or ire!

Glenn Hageman
10-25-2007, 5:56 PM
I Guess I was just looking for permission/support to put the rails on the left side. Thank you.

Mark Engel
10-25-2007, 6:03 PM
Hey, it is your saw. Put the table on any side you choose.

glenn bradley
10-25-2007, 6:29 PM
Sorry... My saw is an INCA 10" and the rail can be moved to either side

Yes, I should have mentioned that my old C-man had 30" to the left and 30" to the right courtesy of the Align-a-Rip fence and rails made for Sears by Ryobi. So I guess it boils down to your preference.